15. the truth

Nyx gasped when she saw Praen and Mabuz emerging from the woods.

Abitha, who had just released Flora and Fauna, carefully walked the two little girls over to Nyx who immediately took hold of their shoulders, pressing them on either side of her. The twins shrunk behind Nyx, staring fearfully at the scene near the woods.

Abitha jogged and flapped her wings once, landing smoothly beside Alastair. "What in bloody hell are you doing here?" she spat towards Praen before her hazel brown eyes moved to Mabuz. "And you?"

"We've come to deliver some news," Praen chirped cheerfully, crossing his hands behind his back and walking towards the group.

Ilmari and Gwyneria both flew over, landing behind Caspian and Catori. Praen could feel his confidence flutter after seeing the six figurehead form a layer of a wall in front of him, with Alastair and Abitha in front, both looking between the two with flaming eyes.

Nyx turned to see the adults quietly and quickly guiding all the children and teens back to their cottages. "Dion," she whispered.

The earth fae looked at her, and she gestured Flora and Fauna towards him. He came and took their hands, pulling them towards their cottage before looking to Nyx. "Come," he whispered. "You shouldn't be here either."

Nyx looked over to the six figureheads as Praen slowly waltzed towards them. She shook her head and looked back to Dion's worried green eyes. "No. Go, now." With that, she turned and began walking towards the group near the woods.

"Nyx!" Dion whispered after her, but the blonde kept walking carefully.

Terra, who was guiding some other children away, came up beside Dion, taking the twins' hands in her own. "Come on, Dion. We need to go, now."

Dion looked between his sister and Nyx. He knew that they would most likely be able to protect her if Praen were to try anything, which he was sure he would, but something was telling him to chase after her. "Take the twins, now!" He jumped into the sky and flew forwards as Terra hurried herself and the twins into their cottage.

Dion landed beside Nyx right as she neared the figureheads, the two of them approaching behind them together. Ilmari, hearing them, turned and looked between the two with wide eyes, but he said nothing, for Praen was speaking again.

Praen walked parallel to the group, eyeing Alastair especially hard. "Two things I must tell you all, actually."

"Better get the words out before I keep my promise," Caspian growled, causing Praen to look at him amusedly.

The ice fae scoffed and continued, "So aggressive, aren't you? For warriors of peace, you lot sure do love to kill and maim."

Abitha's wings broadened as she stepped forward. "Need an example?"

Al gently pulled Abitha back by her arm. "Spit it out, Praen," she calmly spoke, even though she could feel her stomach turning into knots, as if she knew what he was going to say.

Catori knew, too. She also knew that Nyx was standing behind her, which was why she stretched her wings a little wider.

The ice fae smirked and lifted his chin cockily. "First of all, I was sent to let you know that you have not been as successful as you have believed yourselves to be." He paused, and Al felt her breath catch in her throat when he continued, "For Queen Eira is alive."

The figureheads restrained from gasping, but none of them could breathe. Gwyneira's hand went silently over her mouth, Ilmari's eyes widened, and Catori's lips fell open. Al, on the other hand, made no expression. On the inside, she was being twisted and thrashed about. On the outside, she only stared evenly at the boy, for she had known all along that she was right. She knew that Eira was alive, deep down, even though everyone assured her she was dead.