Chapter 29 - Orders

The Governor's Office was larger than the house of a low merchant. The ceilings would not be reachable by five men standing on each other's shoulders and the wide windows looked over the estate, with the nearby orchard and distant grazing goats all in view. Toma sat at his desk, the usual glass of rice wine by his side, looking over deeds and proclamations sent by Dini for him to sign. Dini's assistant stood by Toma's side, pointing at the various scrolls and papers for Toma to sign and stamp.

There was a knock at the door and two attendants walked in and bowed.

'Sir Esteban Busci of Vulnir, Governor,' the attendant said.

Esteban entered wearing a long bison leather overcoat with a turquoise cotton tunic, one of the colours of Vulnir. Esteban gave a deep bow and began to walk towards Toma's desk. The room was so large that Toma could watch Esteban for a long time as he approached the desk. Dini had said that a large office was essential to break the confidence of those who entered and had to feel the gaze of their host. Toma saw now how Esteban looked at his feet, too aware of being watched as he approached.

'Governor,' Esteban said, and bowed again.

'Wine?' Toma said, finding himself feeling guilty for trying to intimidate the Vulnirian. 'We have rice and grape.'

Esteban accepted some grape wine and Toma made sure that the attendant brought him some sweet Solapailtean wine so as not to cause offence by serving him wine from his own conquered city. Toma remembered now how Torros had reprimanded Toma for bowing to Esteban, who, as the son of the old governor of Vulnir, was considered beneath Toma.

'I hear you have found that which you have sought,' Toma said, pushing the papers aside and signalling for Dini's assistant to leave.

'Yes, Governor,' Esteban said, looking down at his knees. 'And before we continue, allow me to apologise for the death of the two natives during our search. I know you have put great emphasis on avoiding the spilling of blood. I sent the soldiers responsible to the prison as soon as we returned – you can choose their punishment. I do only as I have been bid by the Duro Council.'

Toma watched Esteban and saw the deep creases in his forehead, the almond eyes almost shaking as they jumped from knee to knee. Esteban had always appeared scared and eager to please.

'So, what have you found?' Toma asked, wishing Esteban would look him in the eye.

'I am not at liberty to discuss such things,' Esteban said. 'In such matters I am to report directly to the council and to Miro. They have been informed of my findings.'

'If you cannot report anything to me, why have you requested an audience with the Governor?' Toma said.

Esteban shifted in his seat. He had not touched his wine. Toma wondered if he was afraid it was a vintage of Vulnir. Was Esteban afraid or resentful of Toma regarding his part in the sack of his city?

'Governor, what we have found is to be mined and returned to the empire.'

'Then do so. This does not concern me. So long as you pay your tax.'

'It does concern you, Governor. What I have been searching across this island...and have finally found...we have found it only beneath the native village.'

Toma cocked his head and took a swig of his rice wine. These days he needed to drink much more to feel the heavy numbing effect of the drink. He grabbed a cherry tart from the pile on the table and nibbled on the cake.

'I believe, Sir, that we will have to mine the entire village if we are to follow the orders of the King.'

Toma laughed. 'And how do you intend to turn a native village into a mine?'