7. A Migraine

A migraine

After what felt like forever, I saw the tips of some of the taller buildings of the city. As we crossed the Willis Avenue bridge, I stumbled. Cam caught me before I slammed my face to the pavement, but he could only slow my fall. Everything hurt, but it wasn't the fall that caused it. My eyes felt horrible, and began to worry. I mean, I had worried before, but this was bad. They blurred severely, black spots swimming in my vision.

I pulled myself up on the bridge's rail, my eyes swimming with tears. This was probably the worst pain I'd ever felt, and I didn't know if I could stand it if it got any worse.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"I doubt that," Cam sighed. "You know, you can just say 'no, Cam, I'm actually feeling terrible because I just collapsed on a bridge,' But do whatever you want. It's none of my business until you get killed because of it."

I was surprised he got angry at my answer, but I could see that lying, even about the smallest things, could end pretty badly. I took that into account.

"It hurts, I guess, but I'll get over it." I let go of the rail and we kept going. I told myself, Things could get much worse and pushed it aside.

I opened a map on my phone and typed in Central Park. I guessed that our sisters would be there, because even though there wasn't any kind of forest like the one in my dream there, it was a start. We walked down First avenue, passing some random pizza places and not much else. The buildings were tall and old, and I marveled at the tech of the time. People built most of them with no smartphones, no high-tech machines, nothing. It was amazing, but I kept having to focus myself. Laurie, I thought. I need to find her.

I looked up. The sun set and some ominous clouds were coming in, so I didn't want to be caught outside.

"Hey, Cam," I hoped this idea would work. "If it starts to rain-"

It started to rain. Hard. I could feel the drops slapping against my coat, seeping through the synthetic material within and onto my clothes. I should've bought a coat that, you know, actually worked. For once.

Cam gave a halfhearted smile. "How ironic."

We looked around, and I pointed out a little roofed alleyway to the left of us. We crossed the street and stepped in. Rain pattered on the thin metal roof, and I guessed someone usually parked a car here because of the tire marks. It was pretty dark, so I turned on my phone' flashlight to see-

Someone was in there with us.

Cam yelled and tried to run, but the person- wearing all red, I may add- grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him back. Cam spun and punched the man in the face. He staggered, but launched forward again, this time at me. I put up an arm as he came towards me.

He tried to pull me to the ground, but I knew how to fight back. Turns out knowing just one singular self-defense move is enough to save you. I wrapped my foot behind his leg and put all my weight into leaning backwards, and we fell. He hit his head on the concrete and I stood up, backing far away. He dissipated like the one from the train, shimmering into the white leaves and then out of existence entirely.

Cam looked at me in amazement. "Where did you learn how to do that?"

"Honestly, I don't remember, but I probably just looked up 'self-defense' one night and that's what stuck with me."

"Fun." Cam seemed like he was deep in thought, not an expression I was used to seeing on him. "So, you know we know nothing about those guys. And we probably should, before they start slicin' and dicin'."