chapter twenty-four

TW: mild language

rosemary, part one of one.

"a word never falls between our lips. we're a beautiful love story we cherish " - philipo cantone

-

"Fuck me," Genevieve grumbled as she lowered herself down onto the grass, a hand on her hip, rubbing over the place where her almost-healed scar was throbbing. Derek let out a weak laugh as he thumped onto the mat beside her.

"What happened to you 'leaving my sorry ass in the dust'?" He asked, grabbing her water bottle and pouring it into his mouth.

"It'll happen, don't worry- easy on that, I need it too, moron," She snatched the bottle from his hands, causing it to splash on his face. He spluttered, sending her a reproachful look as she hid her laughter behind her hand. She winced as a shooting pain travelled up her side, and lay herself onto her back.

"You okay?" He asked, the teasing tone in his voice gone as he lay on his side, facing her. She had a fit test in two weeks to clear her for active duty after being shot, and training for the two mile run after spending two months as an invalid was proving to be a problem. So, she'd asked Derek to help her, which was why they were currently both lying on the grass in the middle of a running track after running four miles because, according to him, 'to be one hundred percent certain of success, you should be able to double the bare minimum'.

"Fine. Just sore," She said after a while, trying to ignore his intent gaze onto her face, studying whether she was downplaying it or not.

"You know we can postpone the test. You don't have to do it this soon-"

"It's been two and a half months. I'm doing it," She shook him off brusquely. "Let's go again-" She made to get up, but he reached over and grabbed her shoulder, pinning her down.

"No way. We're done for the day. I'm not running no more," He said, rolling his eyes as she tried to swat his hand away.

"Derek! I'll be desk-bound for another month if I don't pass this,"

"And you will! You passed two miles in half the time limit. You'll pass, but not if you overdo it. Let's lie here, then go get some lunch,"

"Fine. But only if you help me move the last of my stuff out of my apartment. My lease gets over tomorrow, so I need to get the heavy stuff out and I don't want to pay for movers,"

"Is that all I am to you? Free physical labour?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Ouch,"

+++

Genevieve was in immense discomfort.

Not because of her hip. But because of how good Derek looked in his form-fitting shirt and jeans. The tension between the two of them had been flaring ever since their almost-kiss at the hospital. Derek would often sit at his desk, pretending to work, while subtly glancing over to her, his eyes trained on her lips. She'd caught him a few times, but he'd just brush it off as absent-minded thinking.

And more often than she would care to admit, her heart would skip a beat or two anytime they touched.

Neither of the two had mentioned anything to anyone else, remembering how word had travelled the last time they had tried confiding in their team mates.

And while she settled on the floor of her apartment, watching him dismantle the shelf in her living area, she pondered as to how easy it would be for her to walk over and kiss him. In another life, perhaps, she would have. But they worked together. They couldn't risk the team like that.