Chapter 2

Yubel's POV

"Rainbow Dragon!"

"Winged Kuriboh!"

One of Judai's facedown cards lifted to reveal Winged Kuriboh. The monster yelped in alarm. Rainbow Dragon's attack hit Winged Kuriboh, destroying the little monster with a screech.

"Sorry, little buddy," Judai muttered, shivering from behind his duel disk.

"I set one card facedown and end my turn," Johan replied, his smile wider and brighter than the sun.

"My turn! Draw!" Judai gazed at the card he'd drawn and the colour seemed to drain from his face. Concern overtook Yubel.

"Do you have a plan?" they asked, folding their arms.

"Plan?" Judai stared at them in confusion.

Yubel frowned. "For defeating Rainbow Dragon!"

"I don't have any card that can defeat it," Judai admitted, showing Yubel his cards.

Yubel glanced at them. He was right: the only cards Judai had were cards to buff up his monsters, which were useless when he had no monsters on the field. Yubel met Judai's gaze.

"Are you... going to surrender?" Yubel asked cautiously.

Judai dipped his head. "I have no other choice." With a sigh, he placed his hand over his deck.

"Huh?" Johan's eyes went wide. "Judai?"

"I surrender, Johan." There was no anger in Judai's voice, just resignation.

Rainbow Dragon faded from the field and both duelist's duel disks shifted back to normal.

"I... I won?" Johan's voice came out in a breath.

Judai smiled. "You won."

Yubel's jaw clenched. *Don't act so happy when you've lost!* Before Yubel could comment, Judai walked across the field to where Johan was.

Judai held his hand out to him. "Great job, old friend."

"Heh..." Johan smiled and pointed at him. "Gotcha!"

Judai gasped a little. Then he broke into a laugh, with Johan following suit. They smiled at each other. That look in Judai's eyes... it was a look Yubel was used to seeing, only it was usually directed at them. Jealousy pricked Yubel like a needle. *No,* Yubel insisted to themself, *He chose you, he loves you. Whatever he felt for Johan is in the past.*

"So what are you doing all the way out here?" Judai asked, taking off his duel disk.

Johan shrugged. "Same as you I'm guessing. I wanted to study the duel monster spirits, and find ones to help."

"That is the same as me!" Judai exclaimed, his eyes bright. "How'd you guess?"

"We've always had a lot in common, Judai," Johan replied evenly. "It's what drew me to you." He winked at Judai.

Yubel clenched their fist, unable to bite back a growl. Judai met their gaze. Heart skipping a beat, Yubel looked away.

"Oh..." Johan sounded somewhat alarmed. "Is that Yubel?"

"Yeah!" Judai's tone was enthusiastic. "Yubel and I have been fused ever since..." His voice trailed off when he noticed the wide-eyed look on Johan's face. "Oh... don't worry. They're not evil anymore. The Light of Destruction was twisting their mind but I banished that from them by fusing with them. They're back to normal and..." He dipped his head as he added, "And they're my lover."