𝒊𝒗. loss and gain

CHAPTER FOUR: LOSS AND GAIN !

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

There was something about Ramona Greene when it came to the OR. The smell of cleanliness and the sight of blood and organs. Yes, it was an uneasy feeling but it was a feeling that Ramona had grown familiar with over time. So when she was scrubbing in, the smell lingered in Ramona's nostrils. The cleanliness of it all. Soap soon filled with her nostrils as she witnessed Bohkee putting the girl under anesthesia.

Bailey was scrubbing in next to her and took a notice in Ramona's tense face. "How's the agent?" She asked, trying to get Ramona's on something else for a second before heading into surgery. Ramona looked at her and nods. "He's good, might be going home sooner than we thought." Bailey nodded at the girl. "This is why you're my second-favorite, Dr. Greene." She looks at the girl as she wiped her hands. "You get the job done." Ramona smiled a bit, knowing Bailey was trying to calm her nerves down for a second.

"Let's get ready."

The surgery had taken over a few hours. Derek had started in on her brain and had Ramona assisting him. Bailey had been on standby in case the girl seized again. Ramona could practically feel the eyes on her in the OR from her coworkers. She could practically hear Cristina complaining on how she didn't get the surgery or Alex telling her to shut up and Meredith's eyes gawking towards Derek.

      "Dr. Greene, do you know any statistical facts on brains? More specifically to a child's brain?" Derek asked the woman next to him. He could practically feel just how tense she was standing next to him like a dark cloud.

      Over the course of time, everyone knew that when Ramona would second-guess herself during surgeries or when it was too quiet in the OR, Ramona often liked to spew facts about whatever regarded their types of surgeries. A broken bone? She had facts ready. Scoliosis? She could tell you what could cause it. Tumors? She was spewing out facts faster than you could say 'go'.

      "Um... 80% of human brain's structure takes shape between the ages of 0-3 and the 90% of the human brain's structure takes shape until the age of five." Ramona told.
       "And why at the age of five?" Derek asks.
       "Well, genes provide the initial map for brain development, beginning with the basic connections in the brain from birth." Ramona explained and Callie looks towards the woman. "At what age is the brain fully developed at 100%, Greene?" She asks.

"Around 25 is when our brains fully develop. We are always learning more about how the brain develops, functions, and adapts. In fact, most of the building blocks of the nervous system are in place when we're born." Ramona told. "Greene, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you 24?" Derek asks. "Seems like your brain is fully developed more than anyone else's." Ramona considered that a compliment from Dr. Shepherd.