Christmas Eve

It was another Christmas Eve.

You know what that means.

Another Christmas gala.

I didn't want to go.

Christmas galas were boring, slow and so......old fashioned.

But did I have a choice? No.

I arrive at the ballroom at 8:00pm, already dreading every moment I'll spend here tonight.

As I walk into the ballroom, I started feeling self-conscious.

Not because I was poorly dressed, oh no.

Mom had made sure that I had been wearing the best.

I was dressed in a red velvet ball gown which had a beautiful white sash around it, white heels, and held a white designer bag, and, since it was a mask party, I had a white mask on my face.

No, I felt self-conscious because I knew that I didn't fit in. This was not my society at all.

People wearing fancy clothing, walking with their heads high, speaking sophisticatedly and intelligently, that was not me.

I took a deep breath and walked through the crowd of people, trying to blend in.

I walk over to the snack table, smiling at the treats on the table.

At least there's a bright side at being at this party, stuffing my face with chocolate all night.

I sat at the snack table for as long as I could remember, watching everyone else at the party moving around, dancing and chatting with each other.

I even tried to start a conversation with someone once, but, that didn't go so well.

Fed up with the party, I sighed, picking up the skirt of my gown, walking to the back garden.

I took in the fresh air of the outside, as I came to the huge fountain.

Sitting by the fountain, I sighed in relief.

"Glad I'm away from that dump party."

"You and me both."

I yelped, can't believe I did that, standing up at the voice.

Turning around, a young man stood there.

He was 5 foot 6, with beautiful tan skin and black sleek hair

He was wearing a black suit that went well with his figure.

But the most captivating feature about him was his striking blue eyes which were not covered by the golden mask that sat on his face.

"I....um....hi." I said, a little bit shy.

He laughed.

"Hi."

Silence. Awkward silence.

"This is a beautiful night. It's just a shame that we have to spend it at this lame party."

"Well, we could always get away from here." The man turned to look at me, and I blush beet red, realizing what I had said.

"I...I...mean...you know what? Don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm saying. Just......"

The man laughed amused.

"You know what, that's a really good idea." He starts walking away, but then turned back to me. "You coming or what?"

"Oh......I......sure....yeah."

We went out into the city.

It was so much fun.