ONE

❛ chapter i: an awakening ❜ . . . .

. . . . ❛ you're free to live your life now ❜

YOUR EYES WERE devoid of light. They were cold and distant. They looked tired, like you had pulled an all-nighter that lasted 5 days. After two weeks on your own with barely any food, water, or shelter, the pain had begun to ebb its way into your appearance. The clothes you wore were becoming worn out and old, barely hanging on to your hazy, thinning figure. You were more of a ghost than a person of flesh and blood.

The cold air blew through you, chilling your spine and freezing your fingertips. You thought you were alone, walking past the dim and dark alley. You were wrong.

A sleek white car with fancy silver embellishments pulled up next to you. Out stepped a man dressed in an all black suit, a stark contrast to the car he was sitting in. He was strange. He held himself with a bold confidence, strutting like he owned the place. Yet, he was short, stout, and downright creepy. He glanced at you knowingly. It was almost withering, yet comforting.

"You look a little lost, are you alright?" He asked. His voice was raspy, like he had been yelling recently. You nodded your head, eager to get away.

"You know, I've been watching you for some time now. You're pretty strong kiddo, surviving in a dump like this for a week," He praised you. This was all too suspicious. You began to walk away but you were stopped once again. "I can offer you shelter. A warm place to sleep and a hit meal. Some clothes maybe."

It was a tempting offer. You weren't sure how much longer you could survive on scraps and poorly lit fires. "You're a smart kid, you should know a genuine offer when you hear one. A nice place to stay for as long as possible."

He did sound somewhat genuine. Maybe being inside for a few nights wouldn't be so bad. You turned around and walked towards the man. He smiled and gestured for you to get into the car. He took the spot next to you and shook your hand lightly. "My name is Dreykov. What's yours?"

"(Y/N)," You replied quietly.

A small device went off in Dreykov's pocket. He pulled it out and put it to his ear. "Melina, I think I found the perfect candidate. Yeah...that's great...we're bringing them over now. Ok, you better be ready." He hung up the phone abruptly and looked down at you with a Cheshire grin.

" He hung up the phone abruptly and looked down at you with a Cheshire grin