TWO

❛ chapter ii: a bag of gummy worms ❜ . . . .

. . . . ❛ peter parker, i mean. not like parker peter ❜

        DELMAR'S DELI-GROCERY was a friendly looking corner store. There was a green stand out front containing a variety of fruits and vegetables. Next to it was a man sitting in front of a scale with a few plastic bags under it. He waved to you with a kind smile as you approached the door. A faded red awning advertised it's many products, including a quote that stated they had "THE BEST SANDWICHES IN QUEENS."

A bold statement, you thought to yourself.

This was the first time you had walked into Delmar's after spending a month or two with Janet and Harold. They were a nice couple. You sympathized with them after learning Janet was unable to have children. That's why they had been fostering the triplets for the past 13 years. Now that they had gone off to college, Janet had been craving the life they once brought to the household.

Janet worked on some board of education. You hadn't paid too much attention to the specifics when she was explaining it. She told you it was her other option when she discovered teaching wasn't her strong suit. Harold had some 9-5 desk job. They were a normal couple, enough to give you a sense of normalcy and comfort.

This morning, Janet had given you a list of groceries to pick up and told you that you could order a sandwich if you'd like. So, you finally made your way into Delmar's.

It looked like any other bodega, or at least you assumed. You grabbed a basket next to the door and started going down Janet's list. The list wasn't particularly long, just a few fruits and vegetables that you went back outside to grab and small snacks like pretzels. You reached out to grab the final item on the list, a singular pack of gummy worms, when someone else's hand touched yours.

Another kid was standing behind you. He seemed to be around your age. He was wearing a shirt with a dumb math pun that said "√-1 2^3 Σ π and it was delicious" under a flannel and a gray jacket. He pulled his hand back quickly. "Sorry about that, you can take it," He said quietly, handing the bag to me.

"Oh, it's alright! I'm sure we can do without it," You protested, trying to hand the bag back to him but he put his hands up and backed away.

"It's alright," He smiled at you. "I can go one day without gummy worms." You smiled at him gratefully, and made your way towards the cash register. The man behind the counter looked at everything you had placed and began pulling out a plastic bag for you.

"Will that be all?" He asked. You looked up at the menu above his head.

"Actually, I'd like to get a sandwich too, if that's alright?" You said, more like a question.