Part 1

I have been training with Mr. Urokodaki for four months now. Every day, I'm a step closer to avenging my family and destroying those repulsive demons. 

As I struck the traps with my katana, running through a thick forest, the images of my ripped apart family flashed through my mind. I stopped running to catch my breath. 

Their screams echoed in my ears as they told me to run. I smacked my cheek, shaking the thought away. I let my guard down, though. A trap sprung, sending me tumbling down the hill. 

When I finally stopped falling I lay on the ground, every bone in my body sore. I groaned as I sat up. I glanced at a deep cut in my forearm. A thin stream of blood trickled out of the wound. I winced when I moved my arm slightly. 

My eyes landed on Mr. Urokodaki wearing his signature red tengu mask. "Trouble again?" he asked me, chuckling. I grumbled and muttered under my breath, glaring daggers at my teacher. "It was a little slip-up. That's all. I'm ready, so stop making me do these pointless exercises!" 

"You can't afford any slip-ups when fighting demons in real life." he replied wisely, pulling me up with my uninjured arm.

He had a point. But of course I wouldn't let that go. I knew myself, and I knew I was ready to become a great demon slayer. I huffed and stomped into his small house. I sat against the wall, sulking. The smell of whatever was cooking in his pot over the fire smelled delicious. I scooted closer to the hearth, stretching out my sore limbs. I bandaged my forearm's cut as best as I could until I started feeling drowsy. The warmth of the orange flames washed over me, slowly making me sleepier and sleepier. The long day I had was taking its toll on me as I drifted off to sleep.

"Mum! Why don't I help you with that? It's way too heavy for you to lift!" I scolded, taking the bundles of wood from my mother. 

My mother smiled at me appreciatively. She was beautiful. Her hair cascaded down her shoulders like a waterfall and her smile was as bright as the sky. Even as she grew older, she was still as beautiful as when she married my father. 

Suddenly, I heard the rustle of a bush. I curiously took a step closer, but jumped back as a demon sprang from it. It was big, with muscular arms and a burly chest. Its tongue was lolling, drool dripping from the corner of its mouth. Its eyes were wide, pupils dilated and bloodshot. 

It ran towards me with incredible speed, but my mother jumped between us. The demon bit into her torso, blood spewing from her body and staining the snowy ground. Her screams echoed throughout the forest. 

I ran into the house, calling for my father. He immediately ran outside, an axe in his hands. My younger sister, Himari, followed behind him, wondering what the commotion was about. Two other demons that looked exactly like the first also emerged. 

They grabbed my father, occasionally losing a limb due to him swinging his axe blindly. His actions were in vain, as the demons hungrily devouring him. "Run." he said to me before the demons ripped him into shreds. I grabbed my sister's arm and ran as fast as I could. 

I immediately sat up, waking up from my horrible nightmare. After calming myself down, I grabbed my katana and headed outside to meet with Mr. Urokodaki. "I thought about what you said." he started. "Maybe you are ready." 

I excitedly jumped up and down with joy. "But." I stopped celebrating. "You must prove to me that you are ready." 

I looked at him curiously as he led me towards a quiet, solitary place. In the middle of the site, sat a large boulder. "Cut the boulder in half, and you are ready." He said. 

At that, he walked back to his house, leaving me with my new task.