Part 3

Training was hard. Every time, I ended up falling onto the ground, snow decorating my (h/c) hair. The boy, who introduced himself as Sabito, always ended up winning, always offering me a hand to help me up. "You're getting better." The girl, Makomo, encouraged everyday after we trained. And I believed her. 

I wiped droplets of sweat from my brow as I picked myself up from the ground. I panted heavily as exhaustion washed over me. I held my katana in front of me, my arms shaking from fatigue. Before I could blink, Sabito was flying towards me with his wooden sword, knocking me down again. I groaned in annoyance as he chuckled through his white mask. 

"You are getting better." He said reassuringly.

"Yeah, right. Sure." I mumbled back, sarcastically. 

He laughed out loud and held his katana by his side. "Come on, let's keep going." 

I sighed.

2 months later...

Sabito grunted as I slammed the flat of my katana against his side. He staggered backwards, his body shaking from the rush of pain. "Hmph." I triumphantly snickered. "I win." I taunted. "You would have been dead if I had turned my katana's edge." He walked up to me, clutching his probably bruised side. He put a hand on my shoulder and sighed. The sigh turned into a chuckle and the chuckle turned into a hysterical laughing. "What are you laughing at?!" I demanded. "I think you're ready." he replied, satisfied with my progress. I cocked my head, confusion flashing across my face. 

He sent me off, telling me he would show me tomorrow. As I walked back to Mr. Urokodaki's home, I played with the ends of my hair, snow rolling off my (h/c) locks. I ran my hand through my hair, letting the rest of the white flakes fall to the ground. I opened the door that led to the inside of the old man's house and laid on the mat set up for me on the ground. I stared at the ceiling as Mr. Urokodaki's rumbling snores echoed through the tiny house. I turned my head to look at the purple bruise on my shoulder Sabito had given me while we were training. I touched the welt, wincing as  pain travelled up my arm. I stared back at the ceiling, my eyes following the distinctive pattern. 

My eyes slowly grew heavier and heavier. I shut my eyes and breathed outwards, dreamland calling me from far away. Sleep overtook me and I returned to my dreams.

"Himari, come on! Run faster!" I urged my little sister. We took another break, sweat dripping  from my forehead, dampening my hair. I flicked away the hair that was hanging in front of Himari's face. "Let's keep going, hm?" She nodded, fear in her eyes as she didn't even know what we were running from. We kept sprinting through the forest, leafless trees looking more menacing than before. "We're almost there, 'Mari. We're almost at the village." I glanced across the horizon, breathing a sigh of relief as I saw daylight peaking from under the hills. Suddenly, Himari's hand that I was holding slipped from my grasp. I skidded to a stop, looking behind me. My sister's foot had tripped over a curved elm root. She had fallen and sprained her ankle. I crouched down and placed a hand on her injured leg. She winced and cried out but I covered her mouth with my hand. Hopefully, the demons didn't hear her. 

Then, as if on cue, the three, bulky demons leapt down from the tall trees and landed behind Himari. "Just my luck." I muttered under my breath. They inched closer and closer to Himari. I tried to walk towards her, to protect her. But my legs wouldn't move a bit. It was as if the cold snow had frozen my legs in place. I just stood there helpless, useless. The sun was almost up. There was nothing I could do; but run. So I fled. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me towards the village, as the sounds of Himari's betrayed screams rang in my ears. I slowed to a stop when I saw the light of lanterns, my legs aching, and my eyes wet with tears. The tears poured out as the sun came up, most likely causing the demons to flee or to burn. I screamed, my screeches full of pain and hurt. Tears rolled down my cheek, falling onto the grey pavement. People turned to look at me with confusion and sympathy but didn't stop to comfort me. One thought stayed in my mind as I continued bawling my eyes out. I had killed her.