Part 4

My eyes shot open. I returned back to reality, regaining consciousness. I sat up on the mat, rubbing my half-opened eyes. I glanced at Mr. Urokodaki mat, seeing that he wasn't there. I assumed he was out taking a stroll through the forest or something like that. I got to my feet and snatched my katana from the wood floor. Running a hand through my knotted hair, I walked towards the giant boulder that remained uncut. 

"Sabito?" I called out, looking around for the masked boy. "You said you wanted to show me something?" 

"I'm here." he said from behind me. I whipped around, surprised by his sudden appearance. I smiled brightly at him and greeted him. "So, what did you want to show me?" I inquired, peering around us. He chuckled at my curiosity. 

Over the past few weeks, he had been more comfortable around me and didn't wear his mask as often. Unless we were training, he would display his lavender-grey eyes. I had always wondered where he got his long scar that ran along his right cheek, but I never mustered up the courage to ask him about it. 

Sabito put his hand over his katana and pulled it out of its sheath smoothly, as usual. But today, instead of his regular wooden sword, he had a katana similar to mine in his hands. I stumbled back, surprised and a bit frightened of his new weapon. "I've seen that you've been doing much better in training. I decided to make it a bit harder." I chuckled nervously, finding a way to get out of this. 

Of course he always faced the risk of getting killed by my sword, but that was way different because he was more skilled. Gears turned in my mind as I contemplated. If what he's saying is true, and I have been doing way better, I should be fine. I nodded and stood in a defensive stance, ready for his powerful blows. 

He flew towards me with lightning speed, as if the air were shooting him in my direction. I just barely blocked his attack by thrusting my katana in front of me. Again, he struck and I blocked it clumsily. Sparks flew in the air when the metal from his sword met the metal from mine. The loud, scraping sound screeched in my ear. 

Suddenly, Sabito launched a vigorous blow, so strong I skidded backwards. I stopped sliding when my back made contact with a thick, wide tree. I dropped my katana on the floor, my sword making a soft puff  as it hit the dirty snow. I coughed loudly. After taking a short break to recover, I picked up my katana and walked back to Sabito, who was standing next to the boulder, waiting for me. I took a deep breath in and charged towards him. 

Another two months later...

The snow had melted, and we were now training on dry ground. Unfortunately for me, that meant the more I fell on the ground, the more it would hurt. Fortunately though, I grew less wary of Sabito's metal katana, and became more aware of what he will do next when we train. 

The sound of our swords clanging against each other echoed in the solitary space. 

Sabito swung his sword in my direction, the weapon coming towards me at a frightening speed. I dodged swiftly, narrowly missing his katana that was now lodged in the ground where I used to stand. I used that to my advantage and kicked the sword out of the ground, away from Sabito's reach. I slashed in his direction, closing my eyes, using as much power as I could. 

Something tickled my cheeks like tiny kisses. I opened one eye, peaking to see what was going on. Sabito had disappeared, and replacing him lay the boulder I had tried to cut since forever, cut in two perfect halves. Shimmering things fell from the air like shiny snow. My arm that held my katana fell to my side as I looked around for Sabito. He was nowhere to be seen. 

As if he were a figment of my imagination. 

As if he were from my dreams. 

As if he were imaginary.