CHAPTER 1

Abuja, Nigeria.

Saleem stood proud and tall in front of the long mirror in the walk in closet as he fixed his tie, a nonchalant expression on his face. He opened a drawer which contains his collection of expensive watches. He picked a black Patek Phillipe watch and strapped it to his wrist before fixing his tie again and walked down to the garage.

He passed by one of his worker, Mr Okafor who was watering the flowers and gave him a curt nod before getting into the car. His Driver bowed a little and closed the door before making his way to the driver's seat and drove off.
The car later parked in front of a huge company as a man in Black opened the door for Saleem.

"You are welcome Mr Saleem." Saleem gave him a barely noticeable nod as he made his way to the private elevator, which will take him to his office.

***

Zaheerah meticulously took her time as she wore her green emerald necklace, a gift given to her by her Father to wear everyday. She glanced at the mirror one more time, satisfied with her simple, yet delicate look.

"Zaheerah!" An impatient voice called her from outside the room. She hurriedly picked up her bag and fixed her old abaya one more time before exiting the room.

"Zaheerah!" Her Mom called again.

"Yes, Mom?"

"Should I boil the rocks or stones or use the plants we have in the backyard for a salad?" She barked angrily. "Your good for nothing Father left early in the morning without giving me anything."

Zaheerah resisted the urge to roll her eyes at her Mother. She would never change her ways. "Mama, stop saying things like that. Baba is a hard working person. He is gone for the morning prayers and after that went to work in a building site. And I'm sure you know that already."

"I am not telling you what to do nor am I asking you for your useless explanations. I need money, and I need it right now!"

"Mother, what are all these noises for early in the morning." Zaheerah's younger sister, Yumnah asked with a yawn.

Their Mother ignored her as she shot Zaheerah one of her infamous glares. "Come on give me the money."

"Mama, I already gave you my whole salary and the money I have with me right now is for my transport. I'm running late already." She hurried to the door, trying to put on her shoes but her Mother caught up with her.

"Stop blabbering girl, and give me the money. Hurry up!" Zaheerah sighed as she brought her purse from her bag. She started counting the money she has left, her Mother snatching it in the process. Before she could protest, her Mother pushed her outside and banged the door. Zaheerah winced, afraid that the poor door would come off it's hinges.

'Ya Allah, what am I going to do now? This fifty naira is not enough.' She thought helplessly as she made her way outside the gate, desperately hoping for a miracle. "Where is this thing now?" She huffed in annoyance. It doesn't come on time, not even for one day."

The ringing of her phone cut her off from her ring of complaints for a moment. It was her cousin, friend, and also her co-worker that was calling.

"Hello, Layal?"

"Hello Zaheerah? Where are you for goodness sake? You're already tardy you know?"

"Layal, I'm her waiting for the bus. It's always late!"

"Hurry up because the boss has been looking for you again."

"Ya Allah! The bus is not coming and I'm stuck here." She was on the verge of crying now.