Easter

As Clark set out with his little family for the Easter service, there was gladness in his heart—he rejoiced in the spring, in the good health and happiness of his family, in the newly finished barn that his neighbors had helped to raise and the addition they had helped build on the house. It had been his hope that when Marty saw how spacious the house was with the new bedroom, she might reconsider returning east later in the spring.

But he was worried, too, because she hadn't said anything yet, and every day that passed came closer to a day ahead when he might have to stand and watch as everything that mattered to him, truly mattered, pulled away on a wagon train, unable to stop it or hold them with him.

He prayed that Marty would have a change of heart, but he knew all too well that the answer to prayer wasn't always the outcome you looked for—and he feared it. Much as he trusted God, he feared that he wouldn't be strong enough to let them go, if it came to that.

He came in from hitching up the team to find them all ready to go. Marty was wearing a dress of some soft blue fabric that made her look—made her look like a wife any man could be proud of, Clark thought sternly to himself. Still ... he couldn't help the way his eyes lingered on her, or the pleasure he took in the heightened color in her cheeks in response to that look. So, she wasn't completely oblivious to him, or indifferent to his attention. His heart leaped with hope as he helped her into the wagon, resisting the impulse to hold her small, strong hand in his longer than necessary.

The Grahams were hosting, since the Easter service was also going to be the occasion of a double wedding at their house—young Sallie Anne with Jason Stern, and young Laura with the neighborhood's resident bachelor, Milt Conners. Clark wasn't the only one concerned about that match; he knew it weighed heavily on her parents' hearts, as well. He prayed silently for her happiness, for their patience and understanding, and that somehow it would all come out all right.

The parson led them in prayer and song, and then preached a sermon, simple but powerful, on the story of the Resurrection.

Next to him, Marty sat still, her eyes fixed on the minister as if she had never heard the story before. Possibly she hadn't, Clark imagined, remembering her wonder at Christmas, her interest in hearing the story of the Child's birth read over and over. Glancing at her, he saw tears rolling freely down her face as she listened, and then he saw the light break over her face as understanding filled her, as she learned what it was to know and love God. He had never seen that miracle happen so plainly before, and he was filled with delight that he should have been allowed to witness it in her. She reached for his hand, clearly wanting to share this moment, and Clark closed his hand gently over hers, hoping the touch would tell her that he understood and shared her joy.