Oly Mondu & Gretta (Dec. 24, '21) - Star Wars (#3)

-A DIFFERENT LIFE-

Oly had found none in the Temple. With Obi-Wan and Master Yoda, he had come back to the Asteroid-field empty-handed of any survivors, but he had managed to acquire old Jedi-texts to protect the Order in any way he could. He had then found the ship that Senator Organa had told him about, but not before trying to find Gretta. He could sense her presence in the Senate, but that was too close to the Sith, and since he was a familiar face, he could not just show up in costume.

Instead, he had asked one of Organa's men to ask Organa to bring her whenever he could. Oly wasn't sure what was going to happen to them, but he had to speak with her, let her know that he was alive and not responsible for the accusations that the Grand Chancellor was producing in front of the Senate. Now he was sat there, on Polis Massa, waiting for anyone to arrive. As he did, he sat down somewhere quiet, and tried to meditate.

There was an emptiness as he closed his eyes. Before, when he mediated, it was almost as if he could communicate with the Force, like his late Master had taught him, but now there was nothing. There was just a silence. The further he dwelled into it, the more he realized that he was sending out his signal like a beacon to the wrong individuals. There were two strong Siths out there now who could sense anyone tapping into the Force and send armies to have them killed. He immediately opened his eyes and let go. He had to let go.

"Mr. Mondu, Organa and Senator Gretta have arrived."

One of the officers said as he entered Oly's room. Oly immediately got up on his feet and followed the man. His heart started racing as he was about to meet his wife for the first time in what seemed like a lifetime. He had suddenly had to go, in spite of not being part of the Order anymore, to help his Master Ilys. Gretta didn't know where Oly was, only that he had been forced to leave early. She was praying he was okay, but as she heard of Jedis being hunted, she was scared she had seen the last of him.

When Organa came to get her, he did not disclose why he was interested to see her. He only said he wanted to discuss a political matter though not in the new Empire's capital. She noticed however that he slipped her note that only said, 'it's about a Jedi'. She simply nodded, asking her political supporters to stay behind and inform anyone looking for her, that she had travelled back to her home-planet.

Oly stood in the hanger as Organa's ship landed. He sensed her presence on the ship and was relieved to be able to see her, to have survived the betrayal of the clone-troops to get to see her again. There had been a moment while running from the clones where he didn't know if he would ever see her again, but now he knew for sure that he would. The ramp behind the ship opened and Oly saw Organa's feet first before he saw another set of feet following him.

Oly immediately approached the ship, greeting Organa formally, thanking him with a polite nod before he looked over at his wife and greeted her with open eyes. She was crying, and Oly felt tears in his own as he just held her in his arms for as long as he wanted. Once they released each other from their embrace, they shared a long, passionate kiss before resting their heads against each other.

"I am so relieved that you are still alive..."

Gretta said in between tears of joy.

"...the chancellor spoke of the Jedi's attempt to overthrow him and I couldn't believe a word of what he was saying."

She continued.

"It appears the Chancellor is the Sith-lord that we have been looking for since the war began. There are so many things that are uncertain now."

Oly responded as he took a deep breath. For a moment, he could find a small moment of light in the midst of the darkness with Gretta. As much as a vision of the future had appeared dark, he did not let it occupy his mind at the expense of the moment.

"Let us head inside."

He said eventually, grabbing her hand and holding on to it, not sure for how long he was going to be able to be with her now.

"I have heard words that Master Kenobi is on his way here with Senator Amidala. She appears to be in some kind of distress medically."

Oly said as he entered the room where Gretta was. He sat down in front of her, immediately grabbing her hand and holding it.

"You have had visions of the future, haven't you? I can see it on the look you have carried since I came here."

Sometimes it was not necessary to be a Jedi to read another person's mind. Oly smiled gently in her direction before he dared to answer.

"There is a darkness ahead. The Sith-lord is in control of the Senate, and his apprentice, the one who used to be a great friend of mine, has become his puppet. Almost all Jedi have been killed, and the few of us that remain, have to go into hiding."

He answered.

"Someday the time will come when we will be needed, but now is not that time. Master Yoda has told me to get ready to spend a lot of time alone and in hiding."

Oly went on. Gretta almost removed her hand from his as he said that.

"I can't go with you, can I?"

Gretta asked, even though it was more of a conclusion more than a question.

"It wouldn't be a good life, living with me on the run. You supported me when I stepped out of the Order, and I cannot thank you enough for that, but I believe I owe you not a life on the run."

Oly responded. Gretta sat closer to him, moving her hand from his and up to his face.

"I know my choice. I know the choice I made when we said our vows. I know I signed up for a different life, but it has been one that I am thankful for. Whatever this new life has in store, I want to go with you. I cannot stand to be without you, not again."

She said passionately.

"Gretta, we cannot have the life we both want or deserve. I cannot bear the thought of you being in danger for being with me."

Oly responded.

"And I cannot bear to go the rest of my life without you, and without knowing if you are alive and safe, or in danger and possibly dead. I am willing to let it all go, if I can go with you, even if it is into hiding, even if it is just the two of us."

She protested.

"You would go with me, no matter what?"

Oly then asked, almost as if he was surprised. A big part of him had been prepared that he was going to go at it alone from now on. He knew he had married Gretta because he loved her enough to want to spend the rest of his life with her, even at the expense of being a Jedi. Still, he was amazed by how he continued to learn about her stubbornness in favor of the two of them together.

"I would...and I will."

Gretta answered before Oly leaned forward and kissed her.