Johanna Mason Fanfic, One-shot #3: "Revelations"

"Get off of me," she almost yelled at the nurses and doctors as they tried to give her fluids and nutrition through an IV. They also tried to put on a mask for oxygen, but she moved it away from her face, denying any help they were offering. "I don't want any of it, just stop it," she clarified before a familiar face appeared in front of her. "Well, well, well, look who it is, the girl on fire," Johanna let out just as cocky as the first time they met. "I suppose I owe you something," Johanna went on before she saw Finnick and Annie reunite.

"I...no you don't," Katniss answered. She was about to go on, but her eyes moved over to Gale. Johanna looked over at him, only knowing him as one of the soldiers who got her, Annie and Peeta to safety. Katniss eventually went over to talk to him, and Johanna was left on the bed by herself. Sitting there, she saw a boy and a girl overly happy to just be together again. As she watched them, she allowed the doctors and nurses to start working on her. That was until she noticed a person in her side-vision, one that she felt was staring at her. For a brief moment she didn't care, but his staring annoyed her, so she turned her head.

"What the," she stumbled on her words as she looked at him. She had to blink several times as she just looked right at him. "How is...what...how did you, how are you here," she somehow managed to stutter as the space between them got smaller. The doctor and the nurses noticed the tension between the two and backed away from Johanna. They realized that Johanna knew the man in front of the bed. The man looked at them, giving them a signal to leave her be so they could talk in private. There was a deafening silence for a few moments.

"Rorke," she said more in question than anything. She could tell he was nervous by his hesitant steps closing in on her bed. "Hi, Johanna," he managed to say. The sound of his voice caused a shiver down her spine. She thought she had heard his voice for the last time, and seen the last of him, six months ago. When he suddenly vanished from the face of the earth, she thought that Snow had figured out that she had a soft spot again, and wanted to break it once more. The lack of roses was what didn't sit right with her. Now she knew why.

"How...," Johanna repeated once more. She didn't know what to say or how to feel. "I may not have been completely honest with you," he started. "This is...this is my home, my district. I was born and raised here," Rorke answered reluctantly. "Then why were you in District 7? You appeared out of nowhere, and then you disappeared," she went on. The emotions from back then were boiling under the surface. "I was in District 7 for recon-purposes," Rorke sat down on a chair next to her bed. "I wanted to leave a note to explain it...my supervisors didn't allow me to. It could compromise everything, kill the revolution before it even began," he explained.

She felt the anger, and betrayal in her now. "I was just a mission for you, and then you left, getting what you came for," Johanna muttered in front of Rorke before he sat forward defensively. "No, that's not what happened. I wanted to take you with me, but I couldn't. Instead I decided to leave you with a note, but everything was so unstable at the time, I..." he went on before Johanna cut him off. "What was the mission," she asked, not really having an interest in it. "Johanna," he started. "What was your mission?! Why did you seek me out and then leave," she asked stone-faced.

He looked down for a moment. "The rebellion. I was to infiltrate the public, listen to the rumors of rebellion and report back here. I wasn't supposed to get in touch with you, that part just happened," he explained. "I was just collateral," Johanna answered, feeling more and more unimportant and betrayed. "No, you weren't. I told you some lies, sure, that was only to protect you. Everything that I told you about me, about my family, even my name, that was all true. I gave you my real name, but nobody else," Rorke went on.

"Why," she then asked. "Truthfully, I don't know," Rorke answered at first. "In this district, we're all soldiers. My grand-father foot soldier, my father a pilot and my older brother an infiltrator who got discovered and killed. All my life I've been a soldier, I've been accustomed to every other identity than my own. The only times I've been my true self has been when I pilot a hovercraft...or during the time that I spent with you. Nothing was supposed to happen, it wasn't planned, but...it did," he answered in length.

"So, what do you want from me, hm? Do you want me to understand you, forgive you...trust you," Johanna asked confused. Her voice was a little louder and the toll of the torture that she had endured in the Capitol for weeks was coming to the surface. "Listen, I have felt terrible ever since I left you there. I don't expect your forgiveness or trust any time soon, but...we're on the same side," Rorke answered. He could see the sarcastic smirk on her face. He remembered it from all the times that she got defensive with him back in District 7.

"Same side or not, I learned a long time ago that the only person I can rely on, that I can trust won't go behind my back is myself. I was doing well with that until you came along," she continued. Her anger surfaced. Rorke recognized it for what it was. There was still a lot of that in her. Rorke had almost imagined it all to be gone with the way she kept shutting him down for days before his persistence caused her to open up to him. After he left, he was scared for her. He worried about how fast she would rebuild her inner walls. Would anyone ever be able to breach them a second time?

"Go," she then murmured while looking away. There was a small hint of rage in her voice and she was working very hard to subdue it, but she was slowly failing on that. "What, are you deaf? I told you to leave! Leave me the hell alone," she said even louder. People in the distance noticed her angry tone. Rorke noticed that a doctor discretely told one of the nurses to find a sedative to subdue Johanna before the anger would become too much. Rorke looked back at Johanna who was about to fume in anger. "Leave me alone," she yelled in full rage before nurses and doctors came to hold her down and sedate her.

A part of Rorke wanted to stop the doctors and the nurses from drugging her down. It wasn't right. He knew Johanna had every right to feel every ounce of the anger. He had betrayed her. He hadn't been truthful with her as to who he truly was, what he was really doing in District 7. She was by no means a mentally ill person, at least not that they knew of by preliminary exams, only time would tell. All Rorke could do, was stand there powerlessly as they calmed her down.

He sat further away from the bed, watching the nurses treat her as Commander Boggs walked up next to him. "Maybe it would be good for the both of you to spend some time apart. She knew of the rebellion so she was probably the one Snow tortured the most, and worst," Boggs said eventually. Rorke shook his head. "That is all the more a reason for me to stay, sir," he answered. Boggs looked down on him as Rorke got up on his feet. "I left her behind twice, first in District 7 after my mission, and then at the Quarter Quell Arena when we couldn't find her in time. I will not make it a third time," Rorke answered determined.