Chapter 76 - Princess Davey

Over September and October, Jack made a point to emphasize to Davey how much he wanted to win the couple costume contest. Even at homecoming, he found a way to bring it up. Davey felt he owed the win to Jack, so he did his best to perfect his costume.  

Jack's costume was coming along smoothly as well. Sarah had done her best to make it look as close to Princess Daisy's as possible, but she and Jack knew something Davey didn't. 

"We're going to Sarah's place so I can try on my costume, right?" Jack asked Davey after school a week before Halloween.

"Yeah," Davey nodded, "I hope it's worthy of a win," 

"I hope it fits," Jack shrugged.

"Realistically, I see no reason why it wouldn't fit you," Davey reminded him, "she made it for you specifically,"

"Right," Jack chuckled.

"What's funny?" Davey questioned. 

"Nothing," Jack shook his head, "let's go,"

"No, you laughed at something," Davey crossed his arms, "what's funny?" 

"I just thought of something funny. I'll tell you later," Jack insisted. 

When they got to Sarah's house, Sarah was absolutely ecstatic to show them the dress.

"I've had to keep Felix out of here for two months. Let me tell you, it wasn't an easy thing to do, but I couldn't have him scratching up the fabric," Sarah took them into the bedroom, where the dress was hanging on a clothing rack.

"Oh my goodness," Davey expressed, "it looks amazing,"

"Well, Jack just needs to try it on," Sarah appeared to be struggling not to laugh. 

"I worry that orange isn't my color," Jack took the dress off the hanger and held it against himself, "how do you guys think it looks?"

Davey frowned, "Well... I mean, the color looks fine. It just... doesn't look like it would fit you," 

"What do you mean?" Jack questioned, "I thought it was made specifically for me,"

"I don't know, I just don't think that it would go over your chest," Davey shook his head, "Sarah, what do you think? I'm not an expert on this,"

"No, you're right. But I don't understand..." Sarah dissolved into giggles, "I'm sorry Jack, I'm an awful actress,"

"What did you do?" Davey asked urgently.

"It's Jack's fault," Sarah pointed to Jack.

"Sarah, you're too old to be pointing fingers. What did you do?" Davey repeated.

"Oh, damn. Davey has entered mom mode. We're in trouble," Sarah chuckled, "I didn't make the dress in Jack's size," 

"What? Why?" Davey blinked.

"Here, you try it on," Jack handed it to Davey.

"Oh, no," Davey sighed, "Are you joking?"

"No, go try it on. Tell me what you think," Sarah insisted.

"No, I've said it before; I'll say it once more. I refuse to wear a dress," Davey stood his ground.

"Come on, Dave," Jack begged, "you know how much this contest means to me,"

"Look, just try it on. If you really hate it, I'll try to fix it before Halloween," Sarah promised.

"No one's going to stop bugging me about it if I don't, will they?" Davey sighed.