Chapter 1 🥀

The front door of a cozy cottage opens to reveal -- Beau, a pure handsome guy, blessed with intelligent, fiercely inquisitive eyes. With book in hand, he takes a deep breath of morning air and gazes toward the church which peeks above the village rooftops.

"Little town, it's a quiet village. Every day like the one before. Little town full of little people. Waking up to say..."

Beau looks at the clock on the church counting to 8am. Wait for it. 3. 2. 1.

On cue, the villagers begin their day. A housewife opens a window, nods to a woman shaking out a rug nearby. A butcher opens his shop, waves to a cobbler moving past with his cart.

"Bonjour. Bonjour. Bonjour. Bonjour."

An old vagrant is the only one to notice Beau, smiling at him as he's tossed inside a holding tank by two gendarmes.

"Bonjour."

Beau weaves between the villagers, making himself invisible. He passes a harried baker buys a baguette --

"There goes the baker with his tray like always. The same old bread and rolls to sell."

Beau approaches Jean, the potter, tending to his mule.

"Every morning just the same. Since the morning that we came. To this poor provincial town."

"Good morning, Beau." Jean greets the man, scratching his head, trying to remember something. He searches his cart which is loaded with pottery. Beau smiles at the man, looking at him. "Good morning, Monsieur Jean. Have you lost something again?"

"I believe I have. Problem is, I can't remember what. Well, I'm sure it will come to me." he answers. As Beau leaves: "Where are you off to?" Beau turns around, walking backwards. "To return this book to Pere Robert. It's about two lovers in fair Verona." Jean shrugs. " Sounds boring." 

🥀

Beau passes school boys as they march into the school house. Their heads turn in unison.

"Look there he goes. That boy is strange, no question."

The nasty headmaster ushers them in impatiently.

"Dazed and distracted, can't you tell?"

As the boys scramble into school, Beau steps on the stones over the duck pond -- revealing girls forced into "woman's work" chores, washing clothes in the circular laverie. They're surrounded by women kneading clothes on barrels.

"Never part of any crowd 'Cause his head's up on some cloud. (The little girls join in.)  No denying he's a funny boy That Beau."

A flirtarious farmer approaches a pretty fishmonger's wife. 

"Bonjour, good day, how is your family?"

The pretty fishmonger's wife looks with narrowed eyes at the man.

"Bonjour, good day, how is your wife?"

The fishmonger pops up next to his wife, sending the would-be- Lothario into retreat.

Another fishmonger, the shrewish Clothilde, accosts him:

"I need six eggs."

The farmer points out the price. Beau moves past.

"That's too expensive."

Beau sighs.

"There must be more than this provincial life."