Chpt 4 | At War with Myself

----- *+ * *+ -----

"Adam. We already explained to you. You can't keep the dog".

"I can take care of him!" Adam told his fathers

"I can take care of him!" Adam told his fathers. "I can teach him tricks and train him, and I'll take full responsibility for him!". Phoebe and Reuben spied from behind a shelf of books, nervous about what was happening. "It's not just that, Adam," Aziraphale sighed. "Neither of us really have that big of a space to keep a dog in". "Well, why don't you two move in together?" Adam asked. "You two can just cut contact with my grandparents and live together. That's the whole reason why you two can't get married, right?". "Adam. It's a much more complicated reason than that," Crowley told him. "Something someone as young as you can't understand-"

"Well, why not!?" Adam snapped. "I'm eleven now. I'm old enough. How come Reuben and Phoebe get to know and not me?". "Because, they're old enough to understand," Aziraphale said. "One day, you'll grow up and have the right mindset to know-". "Do you two just hate me!?" Adam shouted. "I know I'm probably adopted, since I don't look anything like you two like Phoebe or Reuben do, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't know!!".

The small dog at his feet cocked it's head, staring at the two parents. Dead, bloody red eyes. As if he was mocking them. "Adam, you know we don't do favourites here," Crowley told him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We love you as much as we love either of your siblings". Adam looked up at him, and smacked off Crowley's hand off his shoulder. "Then why don't you ever tell me where I came from!? How come you never let me hear any of your telephone calls!? How come I'm always the one being left out!?". "We're only doing it to try and protect you!" Aziraphale told him. "You can't protect me!" Adam shouted. "You're not even my real parents!".

He turned on his heel and ran out the backdoor of the library, Dog following close behind. "Wait, Adam!!". Phoebe and Reuben immediately ran after him, leaving multiple bell rings from the bell above the door. The silence in the library contrasted the boy's shouts from a second ago. Aziraphale sat down on a chair and sighed. "Did I do something wrong?". "You know how kids are when they turn older, angel" Crowley said. "It's all a part of growing up. Just really hope the kid is alright". "Uhhh, excuse me? Mr Fell?". The customer poked their head in. "Would this be the wrong time to ask whether or not the Terry Pratchett book is on sale?". The white haired man sighed, and turned to them. "How about you drop by tomorrow?" Aziraphale told them. "We're... A bit busy today".

----- *+ * *+ -----

"Adam!! Stop being so stubborn!!" Phoebe shouted, as she chased after him in the streets. "Please, let's just talk this one out!!". "No!!" he yelled back angrily. "Just leave me alone!!". The teens dodged around passerbys and strangers, as they chased the boy and terrier down the street. "Adam, we're literally your older siblings!" Reuben yelled. "Just listen to us!!"