02 || Dress to Impress

• • •

• • •

The next day at breakfast Haymitch is sitting at the table, surprisingly not drunk yet. 

"Come, sit down." He says to the two girls.

"So, you're supposed to give us advice," Katniss says after a few moments of silence. 

"Here's some advice. Stay alive." He says with a sarcastic smile after taking a drink of the brown liquid in his glass.

"That's very funny." Eve says as she knocks the glass of brown liquid onto the floor, "Just not to us." She finishes. After a few moments of silence, Haymitch stands and walks slowly towards Eve.

Eve can tell when he takes his step that he is going to swing at her, so she grabs his hand as he swings and pulls it behind his back. 

"Ouch ouch ouch." He muttered.

With a scoff, Eve pushes the man away from her and into his seat.

Haymitch rolls his eyes as he goes to grab the bottle of liquor but a sharp knife lands right between his pointer and middle finger, looking up to see Katniss' sharp glare.

"Well, well! What is this? Did I actually get a pair of fighters this year?" He says with a laugh. 

"What is this?! That table was first class! It's mahogany!" Effie cries as she runs into the room.

"Can you hit anything with that knife beside the table?" Haymitch asks. 

"Oh, you just wouldn't get it," Effie says before hurrying out of the room in anger. 

"Well, can you?" He asks again.

Eve rolls her eyes as she pulls the knife out of the table and throws it sideways, without looking it lands right between the eyes of the mounted deer on the wall.

"Stand over here. Both of you." He says, guiding the two to stand together. "Well, you're not entirely helpless. You both seem fit, well I can't tell for you Eve with all those baggy clothes. But once the stylists get ahold of you, you'll be attractive enough." He says as he walks in circles around the girls.

"I don't think we can trust you to help us win, Haymitch. You're always drunk." Katniss says. 

"Alright, I'll make a deal with you. You guys don't interfere with my drinking, and I'll stay sober enough to help you. But you'll have to do exactly as I say." He says.

"Alright. Fine." Eve says. 

"So help us. When we get to the arena, what's the best strategy at the cornucopia for someone-" Katniss begins but Haymitch cuts her off.

"No, no, no, no, no. One thing at a time. You'll be put into the hands of your stylist. You're not going to like what they do to you, but no matter what it is don't resist." He says.