07 || Let the games, begin.

• • •

• • •

Katniss couldn't believe what she had just heard. Eve was talking about her. She felt so frustrated and angry. She looked down at her shoes to ignore the anger and also to hide the blush that coated her cheeks, although she would never admit it.

"That is a bad piece of luck," Caesar says, clearly in shock at what he had just heard. It was clear the audience felt the same as they all awed and clapped their hands. 

"It's not good." Eve agreed with a sullen laugh. 

"I can hardly blame you. It would be hard not to fall for that young lady." Caesar commented. "Wouldn't you just love to pull her back up here and get a response?!" Caesar says and the crowd goes wild. 

"Sadly, rules are rules, and her time is up. But best of luck to you, Evelyn Grove, and I think I speak for all of Panem when I say our hearts go with yours."

"Thank you," Evelyn replied as Caesar kissed her hand. The crowd cheered madly as the two stood and Eve made her way off of the stage.

Eve knew Katniss would be mad, but she wasn't prepared to be pushed into a pot and sliced her hand open. 

"What was that for?" Eve asked angrily as she pushed Katniss off of her and into the wall behind her.

"You had no right to do that!" Katniss yelled. 

"What happened?!" Haymitch asked as he, Effie, and Cinna walked up, noticing the blood dripping onto the floor from Eve's hand.

"Nothing, I fell." Eve lied. 

"Did you put her up to this?" Katniss asked angrily, pointing a finger in Haymitch's face. 

"I wish I had. It played great." Haymitch complimented, patting Eve on the shoulder.

"You owe her a thank you Katniss. You just crossed over out there!" Effie said happily. 

"What the hell does that mean!?" Katniss asked. 

"It means she just gave everyone outside district twelve a reason to give a damn about you!" Haymitch replied, getting annoyed at her lack of understanding.

"She made me look weak." Katniss retaliated, voice clear with anger. 

"She made you look desirable, which might be enough to save your life tomorrow. The star crossed lovers from District Twelve-"

"We are not star crossed lovers!" Katniss yelled. 

"Then fake it! Because whatever those people want to buy, it's our job to sell it to them. Understand?" Haymitch asked. "Or would you rather do it your way, and die?" He added when there was no response.

Later that night Katniss is training in the training room alone when Gale walks in. 

"Hi, Katniss." He greets.