Chapter 3

Beta: ellender

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

Aragorn dove into the sea, but he could not see his husband under the water and he resurfaced. He looked from side to side desperately hoping to see his lover. The sea was calm, too calm, like it received a present from nature.

It took away his Legolas, and Aragorn knew that he should fight back and claim his lover.  Bring him back to life and to his heart.

The king dipped into the water again, hoping to see his lover under the sea; and bring him back to the shore.

But the sea, as Aragorn dove down under the waves, was clear as a mirror; nothing was below, only fish and himself.

He came up again and swam to another spot; hopefully he would be able to save his husband.

The king dove in again and each time he went down. He went as deep as the sea would let him; before he broke the surface of the water, and inhaled fresh air.

Legolas was nowhere to be seen. Aragorn could feel tremors of defeat and was so cold, but he refused to give up. Not until he found his lover, his heart, his husband, the king would not give him up to the sea.

He swam to another spot that caught his eye as the rays of the sun marked the spot in the water. Then he dipped in the water, hoping that this would be the last time he would have to dive under the waves, and would find his lover.  He barely had enough strength in him to continue looking.

It was his last chance before the sea would claim him, too. He searched below, blinking his eyes, hoping to see if Legolas was there, or lying on the ground. But the elf was not there. All of a sudden, something caught his eyes.

He saw blond hair tangled behind some rocks, and Aragorn had missed it. He swam towards the figure, still holding his breath, and saw his lover lay behind the rocks. He was covered with dead leaves, and he was holding his hands tightly upon his stomach.

Legolas's eyes were closed, sealed by the waves; beads of pearls that had been given by the sea.

Aragorn felt a tear roll down his face, as he was near his husband. He picked his lover up with great care. However, the dead leaves did not fall from Legolas’ form. Aragorn slowly tried to swim to the surface, while holding his husband's dead body.

When Aragorn emerged from the sea with Legolas, Gimli urged the surprised guards to help their king who was holding the prince. He was barely alive. Gimli shouted at them until the guards hurried to help the king.

Gimli was worried. Aragorn’s strength was waning while holding the motionless pale elf. He was afraid he might not just lose one friend, but two.

As the guards helped the king to the shore with Legolas, Gimli noticed the way Aragorn laid Legolas on the ground, moving his hand to brace the elf's face.