Chapter 5

Beta: ellender

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story. 

"Are you certain, my love?" Aragorn asked, softly touching his lover's belly.

Rúmil nodded, cupped Aragorn's face, and kissed him passionately.

Hearing familiar noises coming from the other side of the door, Aragorn told Rúmil, "I seem to have forgotten to cancel the anniversary celebration, with everything that has happened recently." The king noticed the frown on his lover's face. "Maybe we can use it to our advantage. We could remove Legolas as my husband and coronate you instead."  

"What do you say Rúmil, will you marry me?"

Rúmil nodded, tears suddenly welling in his eyes, gently rolling down his face.

"I will, Elessar.  I mean I do." He smiled.

"Good then," Aragorn took Rúmil's hands in his, "I should let the guards know of the new situation.  And you my love, need the rest.  Another round will be soon. You can count on it." He kissed him before leaving the room.

Rúmil lay happily on the bed. Now he had everything that he had ever dreamed of.  He would no longer be a guard, but would be treated like royalty. He would be royalty.

The plan had worked. Legolas was no longer a threat to him.

While in the healer's room...

Legolas stared at the ceiling; knowing that he had lost Aragorn's love forever, and every hope of ever getting it back. The man had hurt him deeply, and had betrayed him even as he was in his sick bed.

He knew that the guests would be coming soon, as the party for the anniversary should be the day after tomorrow. Legolas assumed that Aragorn would let the guests know about the new arrangements for his crown and his banishment from Minas Tirith.

The door was opened slightly, and Legolas could see Gimli peeking around the corner at him.  The dwarf stared at him with fear or concern in his eyes. Legolas did not know which.

Gimli noticed that Legolas saw him, as he opened the door. 

"Forgive me for intruding, my friend.  I just wanted to let you know that guests have started to arrive and are asking for you."

"Thank you, Gimli," I do not know what I would have done without you; you did so much for me already without being asked.  I know that my life in Minas Tirith is over, and I will be ordered to leave once the coronation is over."

"I will join you lad wherever you want to go." Gimli told him and sat beside his friend.

There was a knock on the door that broke the silence.

Legolas looked at Gimli, motioning him to open it.

Gimli was surprised to see Éomer there, watching Legolas in concern.

He let him in and shut the door.

"Greetings, Prince Legolas of Gondor and Gimli son of Glóin," Éomer bowed lightly to them

Gimli stopped him and said, "There is no need to bow my friend."

Éomer nodded and sat on a chair close to Legolas, and Gimli who took another chair.