--- -. .

Showtimes were always on the hour, not a minute late, and not a moment too soon.

They were expected to be at their positions in perfect timing, a single mistake and they were out of commission. It was a little easier since they were programmed to get everything right and all, but free will often made things a little harder.

Especially for Monty, who was currently feeling a little under the weather. Not physically, but rather mentally, whatever that meant for an animatronic.

It had started when he noticed certain feelings for a member of the band. Not resentment or anger, but rather... the opposite? He wasn't a big old sap about it, don't get him wrong, but he sure as heck wasn't acting like how he usually was either.

There was just... something about the bear, man. Something that drove him crazy.

Okay, well, maybe not crazy. That sounded weird. He just felt... felt... head over heels? The phrase wasn't really in his vocabulary, he doubted that he had ever said it at all to be honest. It was just a certain way that Freddy made him feel.

And he didn't even have to DO anything to make him feel that way. He could literally just stand there, and Monty's metaphorical/non-existent heart would explode into bits and pieces.

It was disgusting.

It was irritating.

And yet, somehow, it made him feel good.

He didn't know how or why, but it actually brought him comfort. Thinking of little scenarios between them, just vibing in the same vicinity, and etc. It was nice.

What wasn't nice, however, was the fact that he had no idea what to do with it.

Monty knew what it meant. He'd be an actual drooling moron to act like he hadn't heard Roxanne spout the same nonsense about Chica before. Seeing the two together, he knew what he wanted.

But he'd rather tear his endoskeleton out of his own body then ever do anything about it.

The way he saw it, the possibility of it ever working out was slim to none. And not because he was afraid of rejection, only losers couldn't stomach a 'no'. The reason was quite simple, he had no idea if he was even able to just... coexist with someone like that.

He saw Chica and Roxanne together occasionally because of their dumb PDA, and he sure as heck wasn't against the idea of recreating that with Freddy. But... Monty wasn't like them. Well, maybe a little like Roxanne, but for the most part he was pretty different.

When he got angry, he destroyed things. And when he destroyed things, he didn't care what it was. Whether it was his own room, or even his instrument. He had never hurt the others, obviously, but... there was always the possibility that maybe he could. If he spent more time with Freddy, maybe something could go wrong.

It was a small ass chance, he had to admit, but it didn't lessen his worry at all. Even if it was .000001 of a chance... he just couldn't risk it.

And so he wouldn't.

But sometimes, and maybe more than that if he was being honest, he couldn't help but think about it. 'Confessing', or whatever. It was a dumb thought, fit for a clown really, but that didn't stop him from entertaining it. Maybe more than he should've.

But damn, he couldn't help himself.

...

And that's what started it all.