Thirteen.

Jay, flashback

__________

At 19, I decided to move to Miami. People questioned my decision. My girlfriend, Mya hated I was leaving. She figured I was only going to be around hoes, which was true. She annoyed the fuck out of me. My mom thought I wasn't ready to be alone, but I honestly was ready to get away from her. She babied me too much. My dad? That nigga didn't care, he never has but I appreciated him the most because he didn't judge me. He treated me like a man and let me make my own decisions.

I was following into his footsteps, and maybe that's what scared my mom. My father was a big time producer. He worked with people like NWA, Jodeci, Tupac, and Puff Daddy — Just to name a few. He had plaques plastered throughout his home office that I could only dream of achieving. He had 6 Grammys that were his pride and joy; He never let me touch it.

I took a lot after him, and that scared my mom too. I was a sweet talker and could get whatever I wanted from anyone. Just from watching my dad, I knew how to hustle. Never illegally. Even if I had to wash a few cars on the weekend, I did exactly that. I did whatever to get the paper because nothing was ever handed to me. My dad didn't give me allowances just because he was rich. He made me work for everything and that turned me into a man.

My mom hated how much I was like him. I dissed women. Fucked them and never touched them again. Treated them like shit. I didn't care. There would be more women for me to meet, especially with me moving to Miami. Plus, I was young and having fun. I wasn't ready to settle down.

I convinced myself that Mya was the one. I tried to be a good guy for her, but being a good guy never worked out for me. She was a pretty girl and was always down for whatever. The sex was good, the head was good, I had nothing to complain about. I let her meet my parents. My dad approved because she was pretty. My mom didn't because she felt as if Mya didn't have a pure heart. I never knew what she meant by that, but I took it in consideration.

A month before I left for Miami, I learned that Mya was pregnant. Surprisingly, I was happy about that. I then learned that she had been cheating on me and the baby wasn't mine. Maybe I didn't have a reason to be upset since I was cheating on her too, but her cheating was somehow different from mine. She had gotten pregnant by the dude.

It broke me to pieces. I didn't understand why God would fuck me over like that but I could only laugh the pain away. This was my karma. The things I had done to my ex-girlfriend, Beyoncé was finally hitting me and it was hitting me hard. I instantly thought about her and how she was doing, and our son. I wondered where she lived. She moved away from Houston during the middle of her pregnancy. It was hypocritical of me to be wondering how her and the baby was doing when I was the one to tell her I didn't want a child. Plus, her father wanted me to stay away so I did. Our son would be two years old now.

Letting her go was my worst mistake. She was a good girl; Nothing like Mya. She was the perfect girlfriend, but I wasn't as mature as her. I treated her terribly, so yeah. I guess this was my karma.