The West

The next day, we checked out and reached Dandi dated 6th April 1930.

"So, that was all about East India grandma?" asked Pranit.

"No, my child. What I showed you and what I am going to show you in the coming two days are only important ones - let's say thirty to forty percent. There is more to the National Movement.", I said.

We reached the seashore around 6 a.m. and enjoyed the cool breeze for a while.

"So, what is the Dandi March all about?" asked Advik.

"The British had a monopoly on the manufacture and sale of salt. They prohibited Indians from manufacturing and selling salt independently. They were required to buy expensive salt that was imported. It was heavily taxed too. This affected Indians as many of them could not afford it. That is why Gandhi protested against the salt law. He started marching from his Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad to the coast of Dandi which took about 24 days covering around 390 kilometers, gathering followers all along the way", I explained. "The Salt Satyagraha earned him widespread support and worldwide recognition".

"There comes Gandhiji", said Pranit.

We saw Mahatma Gandhi break the salt law by gathering natural salt found on the seashore and boiling sea water to produce salt. I took a photo of my grandsons standing near Gandhiji.

"Ok. Let's go. I don't want you people standing in water for so long", I urged my grandsons.