ten.

I think you could recover. Jocks are just people. There are bad ones and there are good ones. It doesn't matter who you enter a relationship with there's that fear of letting down your walls and having to trust that they won't hurt you. It's awful. Dating is awful. But I think it could also be rewarding. Since we're creating a safe space, have you ever had your heart broken? I promise not to judge.

"Can I just say that I'm super glad that you're enjoying this assignment," Miss Grey tells Valentina as she turns in her letter.

Valentina shrugs, "It's nice getting to know someone without the whole image thing getting in the way."

"Your pen pal thinks that as well," her teacher informs her.

"When will we get to reveal ourselves?" Valentina asks, not that she was in a rush to, she was just curious.

"Whenever you want," Miss Grey says, surprising Valentina. She could have sworn that she had told the class that she read the letters, but perhaps that was to weed out students that would ruin the project, "But I don't think you're ready for that."

"I'm not," Valentina replies.

"Good," Miss Grey tells her with a smile. Valentina gives her a smile of her own before heading out of the classroom and into the hallway. She catches sight of Haley at her locker and the smile she was wearing widens as she heads down the hall.

"Haley James," Valentina says as she leans against the locket next to Haley's, "You are looking beautiful today, but you look beautiful every day."

Haley lets out a shy laugh as she closes her locker, "Hi Val."

"How's your day been?"

"Good," Haley says as she smiles, "Better now."

Valentina smiles and reaches out, her fingers gently touching the back of Haley's hand which was still on the locker she'd just closed. Haley's eyes dropped to their hands and then back up at Valentina.

"Do you have any plans after school?" Valentina asks her.

"Work, tutoring," Haley says, and then she quickly follows it up with, "But I can move some things around."

"Or I could just come visit you at work?" Valentina suggests, "That way you don't have to move anything. We can have dinner at the café, my treat."

"Wouldn't it be my treat, since I work there?"

"Nope because I'm paying," Valentina says with a smile, "Wouldn't want you to lose anything off that paycheck of yours."

Haley laughs, "Okay, I'll see you after school."

"I'll be waiting," Valentina tilts her head, "Or technically you'll be waiting."

Haley lets out another laugh and Valentina heads down the hallway before an arm wraps around her, tugging her to the side. She sees Peyton standing there with a knowing grin and Valentina rolls her eyes with a smile growing on her lips.

"Hi, Peyton."

"What was that?" Peyton asks as she nudges her chin toward Haley who was making her way toward the tutoring center.

Valentina shrugs, "We're just hanging out after school."

"Hanging out?" Peyton asks, "Or hanging out?"

"Saying it differently does not change the meaning," Valentina tells her, but her lips lift in a smirk, "But for your info, we're hanging out."

"I knew it!" Peyton exclaims, "Val, I am so happy for you."

"And I'm happy for you," Valentina says, "I mean for your new discovery and whatnot."