fourteen.

There aren't many people I'd miss in Tree Hill. There's my best friend of like forever. Then there's a guy. We haven't known each other long, but we have enough in common that I can say that I might miss him. There's a girl, we've been getting to know each other, and I think I can honestly say that she's kind of become my favorite person. We exist in the same world, but sometimes it feels like we don't fit in that world. Like we're meant to be something else. I don't know, she just gets me. And that's it. Three people. What about you? Who would you miss in Tree Hill?

Valentina places a chocolate bar in front of Peyton, getting the blonde's attention. Peyton laughs as she looks down at her notebook, returning to her drawing.

"Why the chocolate?"

"It's a peace offering," Valentina says as she sits down across from the artist.

"I didn't know we were at war," Peyton says as she closes the notebook and gives Valentina her undivided attention.

"I was just making sure you don't hate me," Valentina says, "About this past weekend."

"I don't hate you," Peyton says as she slides the chocolate bar toward herself, "It's kind of the opposite actually."

"Oh," Valentina breathes softly as she looks down shyly, "Um how long-"

"I don't know," Peyton says, "Maybe at the party at the beach house? Maybe before? But I know that things with Haley are complicated, and I like having you as my friend so let's not make a big deal out of it."

Valentina didn't know what to do with that information. A part of her was disappointed and another part was relieved. She liked having Peyton as a friend and she didn't want to mess it up the way she had with Haley.

"I um I didn't not like the kiss," Valentina says and Peyton looks at her, "I just think it's best if we-"

"Yeah," Peyton says nodding her head, "Yeah."

"Friends?" Valentina asks.

"Friends."

"So, how's your dad?" Valentina wonders.

"He's good. Yeah we talked and everything's okay," Peyton tells her.

"Good, I'm glad," Valentina responds with a smile. Peyton watches her and looks back at the chocolate bar, spinning it on the table. Valentina chuckles, "Things are awkward between us."

"Yep," Peyton responds with a laugh, "Talk to Haley?"

"Nope," Valentina says as she watches Peyton spin the chocolate, "I'm scared to."

"Why?" Peyton wonders.

"I don't know," Valentina responds, "I guess I'm scared to talk to her and maybe hear something that I don't like."

"Like that she likes Nathan?"

"That would be pretty hypocritical given what I did," Valentina says, and Peyton looks up at her, frowning.

"Do you regret it?"

"I wouldn't say that," Valentina mutters, "I just think that maybe I'm not as certain in what I want as I thought I was."

Peyton nods her head, "Well, I think that you should talk to Haley. Whether you hear something that you don't like. It's a conversation that needs to be had."

"Right," Valentina says, "Guess I have to go deal with the inevitable."

She stands from the table and smiles at Peyton, "Would it be weird to hang out later?"

"Yes," Peyton tells her, "But I'll see you later."

Valentina smiles as she heads into the school. She heads to the tutoring center where she finds Haley finishing up her session with another student. Val waits for the student to walk away before joining Haley at the table.