Chapter 7

Many people think that the coral reefs are not living begins .. abiotic structures but clusters of thousands of tiny sea animals called polyps . They're alive, always growing and changing and evolving.  In doing so, they become hotbeds of biodiversity, providing a home for at least 25 percent of all marine species, even though they occupy less than 0.1 percent of the world's ocean surface.

But coral reefs, just like any living being, are susceptible to death if they are not properly cared for or if they are constantly under threat.  And in the Hikkaduwa Marine Sanctuary , that is exactly what's happening .

Hikkaduwa Marine Sanctuary is the place that the most popular for coral reefs in Srilanka ..

Sri Lanka's coral reefs have long been attracting tourists from around the world ..  According to research stemming back to the 1980s, about a percent of the country's coastline contains nearshore fringing reefs.  Preparing the sea-beds of the Indian Ocean, these coral reefs are home to a host of marine life making them both aesthetically pleasing and environmentally consequential ..

As I think , The Department of Ocean Conservation needs to be more proactive and prevent people from walking on the reef . They should advise people who are about to go snorkelling, and advise the various diving stations how they should inform their customers about what to do inside the sanctuary . And generally, they should patrol the area. They have a responsibility to look after whatever is remaining there.

If human activity is channelled toward aiding rather than abusing the coral reefs in Hikkaduwa's Marine Sanctuary, they will have a chance at recovery. Still , restoration to what the reefs once were , the subsequent threats to their survival , is unlikely . It's too difficult to convert Coral reefs into past situation . I think , in future coral reefs will rarely to see it because of non stop hard pollution of oceans ..

Let's protect Ocean as Our eyes for thousands of living beings ...