Labour

While I'm not the strongest individual by any means, working in the outdoors is always quite an interesting experience. It's truly challenging in every sense of the word, but the sense of completion you get is amazing.

"Hey, get back to work!"

Fairview town was surrounded on all sides by an army of curious wheat stalks; golden and hopeful of a continuing summer. When the wind cut through them, specs of grain would take to the air like little wishes meant for the soil beneath.

"O-of course!" I sputtered for a return, struggling beneath the weight of an axe. Whatever god had decided that he should have lost when they drew straws, was malicious and heartless. With each swing of my axe, the muscles creased and squeezed - desperate for more juice.

Acquired Title: Lumberjack
Acquired Skill: Axe Wielding Level 1 (Basic)
Acquired Skill: Wood-Cutting Level 1 (Basic)

At first I'd been delighted to receive that notification, owed to how my handling and technique had drastically improved. However, I still did not have the strength to wield it. It had been nearly a week since I started working there and thanks to that, I'd gained my first skill with actual combat capabilities.

Still, I was in no place to fight anything remotely dangerous yet. I'd been so tired at the end of every day, that Peter had never gotten around to showing me his skills and allowing me to copy them. That however, would change today.

"Gods he works us like a horse!" Peter complained as he lead the way, pushing past Poil as the bathing pond came into view.

"Stop complaining!" You're not qualified for anything else." Poil pointed out the obvious and lagged behind them both, despite the fact he'd handled the work best of them all.

"Eh? You talking about me? I'll show you just how damn good I am!" Peter disappeared behind a tree and reverted moments later, clutching a bow and arrow at his side as though he meant to shoot them.

"Ye Ye I'm sure it'll be wonderful. You'll probably strike yourself with that." Poil ignored the threat completely and began to strip, plunging into the pond without a care in the world.

"Just watch! I'm a damn good shot you know." Peter let an arrow loose and true to his word, found it's mark. The arrow point sunk deep into the trunk of a nearby tree, causing Peter to smile proudly.

"Can you let me have a shot?" When I had said that, I imagined simply picking up the bow and striking his arrow with mine own. Yet, truth was not quite that convenient. Instead, Peter spent ten minutes readjusting my shot, before finally allowing the arrow to fly.

Klunk.

The arrow just barely struck the tree's side. Evidently, a skill didn't make you capable all at once. Yet with each arrow, I seemed to grow ever more comfortable.

Acquired Title: Archer
Acquired Skill: Archery Level 1 (Basic)

After a few attempts and the skills to prove it, I pushed Peter to show me his trap-setting skills. Really it didn't matter what kind of skills I gained as long as I was consistently growing.

"I really don't understand why you're so into this but..." Peter was hesitant in showing off his traps, which were nothing but a series of disguised pitfall traps and wooden spears, but even attempting this allowed me to acquire another skill.

Acquired Title: Trap-Setter
Acquired Skill: Trap Setting Level 1 (Basic)

Before long, they'd joined Poil in the pond and rested with their backs against mossy stone. Oddly, it was quite cold in spite of how warm the sun overhead had been. He was nothing but grateful for it and as he lazed there, he felt the strain of the day beginning to leave him.

"When I came here, this isn't what I expected..." I smirked, thinking of all the fantastical ideas that came with entering a new world.

"So you're not happy either?! Then! Listen to my proposal!"

"Peter will you quit it with these get rich quick schemes. If you really wanted to make money, you'd go fight a monster." Poil grumbled at his friend, a tad annoyed that his peace was being interrupted.

"Me? What on earth would I be able to do? If it was a goblin or something maybe but..." Peter moaned, in a fashion quite unlike him. He was rarely the negative one.

"That's what I should do... go fight some monsters..." I laughed, only to suddenly feel the atmosphere change around.

"Hey hey now... I was just joking right? Only a fool would go fight without training." Poil attempted to quickly shut down the notion and Peter was quick to follow suit.

"Exactly. You only get one life you know. To lose it to a monster would be..." Peter warned me, closing the distance between us in the pond, enough that I was uncomfortable.

Ah so that's it. I was treating this like a game but...this is their lives. Of course they'd be afraid. One mistake and they will die. If that's the case then... I'm probably the strange one.

"Do you guys know anyone who has a combat skill? I'd like advice."