Chapter Two

Arye was practically bouncing with excitement, today everything would officially start. Jadling, as Arye had called his mite, was reflecting this, zipping across the room at the speed of sound.

He heard a loud bell, and rushed out to the dining area, dressed as smartly as he could, considering the terrible quality uniform. Other first year commoners, then later second years commoners, joined them. He was surprised to see no nobles, not even Cynthia. He guessed they didn’t like to mingle with those beneath themselves.

Seating himself with a group of nervous looking first years, much like himself, he watched the high arch entrance, to see if the nobles would appear. He wanted to see Cynthia again, but he wasn’t sure if she wanted to see him. If not... Well... It would hurt like nothing else.

The Provost hadn’t appeared yet either, though Arye assumed this was because he wanted to make an entrance once everyone was there. He wondered what demon he would have, and then reminded himself that the Provost probably wouldn’t have it out. He didn’t know what it was called, but Cynthia could do it. Make her demon disappear, that is.

When the nobles came, they honestly looked like they were trying too hard. Heads high, swords at belts, they came striding in like no one else was there. Cynthia was there, though she seemed to be having a heated discussion with a dark haired girl, who nodded and shook her head, but never said anything. Then Arye noticed the flying fingers, and realised she was mute.

The two girls sat down at a table with a boy similar to the mute, and Cynthia turned and beckoned to Arye. He mouthed, Me? She nodded, and he excused himself to walk over. Cynthia made space for him next to her, and he gratefully sat down. She may have made friends with the nobles, but at least she hadn’t lost her commoner friend.

Across the table the dark haired girl made a few signs with her hands.

“Rayna asks you what your demon’s name is.” Cynthia translated, after a moment of hesitation. Rayna nodded, smiling silently.

“Her name is Jadling. What kind of demon do you have, if you don’t mind my asking.” Arye replied uncertainly. He didn’t know the ways of nobles, or of demons. What if it was considered rude and personal to ask such a question?

Again the hands flew through the air, and again Cynthia translated.

“It’s a Dinad,” Seeing Arye’s look of confusion, she continued to explain, “It looks like a small pony, about the size of a dog, with a cat-like tail. It’s completely white.” Arye nodded, understanding.

“That sounds like it would suit you.” He was about to say more, when a hush fell over the room. Looking over at the entrance, Arye saw that the Provost had entered.

He walked in much like the nobles, only it didn’t look stupid, it looked... Majestic. Echoing across the room were his heavy footsteps, and a loud clang, clang, clang, that echoed after every step. Peaking from under his robes was a metal chain, which lead out of the room. Just as Arye looked over at the entrance again, she came in.

The girl was kept on chains that weighed her hands down, and her wrists were covered in swelling red welts. Her head was down, she looked only at the ground, and she dragged each foot slowly, sullenly. Where a human's ears would normally be, only pale skin showed. Out of her silken black hair, two fox ears peaked. A wisp of a tail showed from underneath her thin dress. It dawned on him. She was a demon.

For a moment she lifted her head, and sparkling emerald green eyes caught his own. They were filled with hatred and sorrow, and as he was wondering over this he felt his mind change.

It hurt, terribly. It felt like it was being shackled down, poked and prodded with a hot iron stick, or maybe a newly forged sword. It was being confined, forced to think only certain thoughts. And ever present was cold, dark hatred.

Suddenly, she screamed and dropped her gaze, and the hold over his mind was lost. His eyes cleared and heard, faintly, the Provost.

“Are you okay, boy?” He shouted across the room, and Arye nodded numbly, shocked to see a whip in the man’s hand. The girl, or demon, was on the ground.She glared at the Provost with teary eyes, but he didn’t look at her.

“What happened?” Cynthia murmured, worried. Jadling huddled close to Arye, so he picked her up and her close to his chest.

“I don’t know. She... She took control of my mind, I think,” Arye replied, still feeling numb, “She’s dangerous.” He added as an afterthought.

The demon girl was yanked to her feet, and forced to continue walking. She and the Provost soon reached their places.

“Before I begin, I need to warn you: Do not look into the demon’s eyes. As one of our students just showed you, it is dangerous. Now, I would like to welcome you all to the Academy. For some of you, you’ve been here before and I expect you’ve been studying hard over the break. For others, you are new, and I expect you to work your hardest at all subjects.

“As some of the second years may remember, last year we made an important discovery in Demonology. As you can see here,” The Provost jerked on the chains, making the girl stumble forwards. Arye winced, “We discovered a demon with a human form. Do not be fooled! She is not human, and will attack you just as readily as a wild demon would.

“Now, make sure you respect your teachers and study hard!” With this the Provost stepped down and sat at the teacher’s table, the demon behind. She looked back at Arye again, and he quickly looked away. When he looked back she was still staring at him, but he thought he saw regret in her eyes. No, it was probably just his imagination.

He spent most of breakfast in silence, only talking when he was spoken to. The girl intrigued him, why did she hate humans so much? He wanted to speak to her. That brought up a new question in his mind, could she speak the language of man? Maybe she knew a few words. Maybe she could communicate with her mind. He decided he would find her later, and answer his questions, both known and unknown to him.

~

Maelin regretted taking the boy’s mind. It was different to that of her Master, as he liked her to call him, and he had been completely unprepared for it. That was the reason why she hadn’t taken his mind a second time.

When she had first awoken she had already been shackled to a bedpost, behind a locked door, in a room with no windows. When someone had come in she had immediately tried to take his mind, but a Hydra had had stopped her.

He had explained to her that he was her Summoner, which meant nothing to her, and that he was her Master, which made her leap at him, despite the Hydra. He hadn’t come back, other than to punish her occasionally.

Until that day, she hadn’t known where she was, or how she had gotten there. Then he had shackled her to him, warned her against doing anything, and brought her out like some prize-winning show dog. So she had taken the boy’s mind.

It had really been an accident; her natural instinct had taken over. She was feeling scared and threatened, and here was a completely unguarded mind, which she could take with ease. He wasn’t a coward, though; he hadn’t hidden behind a shield and avoided her gaze.

He was different.

~

Hello! I know I said I was going to stick to Arye's perspective, but I might've possibly changed my mind. At the end of every chapter or so I might put in Maelin's perspective just so you can understand a few more things about her. I hoped you enjoyed this chapter, and please remember to vote, comment and follow!