Epilogue

Maelin walked through the leafy forest, her trailing hand catching on soft ferns. Though she smiled, tears found their salty way onto her cheeks. This was the place, of that she was certain. A trail of destruction lead to a perfect circle of burnt undergrowth. Not a single tendril of green had found its way onto that blackened patch, the aftereffects of a long lasting portal.

It had been many years since she had escaped the human world. Though her memories of the place certainly weren't fond, she had come to realise that not all humans were like her Master, or the King. She was certain there were more like Arye.

For a while she just stood there, thinking. A loud buzz filled the air, and she hissed quietly to warn away the mite. Still, it persisted, getting louder and louder, as if it were trying to get her attention. Eventually, she felt a heavy push at her shoulder and looked down to see a glimmering green scarab mite. She recognised it, but she couldn't remember where from. Then it hit her.

"Jadling?" She asked hesitantly, unsure. There were many green mites, surely. But why would they be so bold. It had to be Jadling.

In response it buzzed in tight circles around her head, then sped off into the trees. Without a second thought Maelin raced after it, struggling through the undergrowth.

Soon they came to a sudden halt at a clearing. A bright white light illuminated the trees, and Maelin immediately the portal. She saw Jadling disappear into it. With a deep breath, she followed.

Everything looked the same, but very different, too. Strange looking machines whose purposes she could only guess at dotted the room. Deep brown leather made the floor soft against her feet, and she couldn't help but curl her toes.

She slowly turned and there stood a young man. Arye. With a purr she leaped at him, tackling him to the ground in a hug. He yelled in surprise, but started laughing. She looked into his eyes, and he looked back warmly. She'd missed him, though she'd barely known him. And she could feel in the emotions he sent her that he had missed her, too.

She would've stayed there forever, if she could've. But she was the clan leader now. If Arye could come with her everything would be right. She sent these things to him, and he sent back a picture of one of the machines. It appeared to be a type of mask.

Soon they stepped, together hand in hand, into the portal and into a new life.

~

It's finished! Thank you to everyone who supported me through this, you guys are all awesome! I hoped you enjoyed this story, I know it was short but it was never meant to be long. I had a lot of fun writing it, and I'm sorry that I was terrible at updating regularly. I hope that you'll check out my other books, as well as my shared account WeAreJAZIM. Also, I discovered a plot hole with Cynthia's vulpid so just pretend it jumped into the portal as well. Anyway, thanks again everyone for being so amazing!

-Honey