CHAPTER SIX

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ CHAPTER SIX ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙
the beginning of everything

   JASKIER HELD UP A LUTE BY THE neck with both hands, prepared to hit anyone or anything that came near him

   JASKIER HELD UP A LUTE BY THE neck with both hands, prepared to hit anyone or anything that came near him. He glanced all over the room until his eyes landed on her. Wide, feral eyes that stared back at him. The brown they used to be illuminated almost red or gold with candlelight. He lowered the lute as his eyes fell on the wiggling man beneath her. 

   A groan left Rennen's mouth. She threw her head back, trying to get the strands of hair away from her face, then she glared at the bard. "What are you doing here?" she spat.

   "I thought you needed help!" Jaskier opened and closed his mouth as he took steps back, then his back hit the wall or the shelf or something that was behind him. 

   She sat on the man's chest to hold him down but kept her eyes on the bard. "Really?" she scoffed.

   Jaskier shrugged his shoulders. "How was I supposed to know that you didn't need help?!"

   "This is what I—" A sudden hit to the side of her thigh caused a gasp to leave her mouth, for her to fall to the side and hear the knife she had a tight hold of fall somewhere. She reached for the spot where the pain came, her fingers collided with something wooden. The handle of something sharp. The man had somehow pushed a knife onto her thigh.

   "Rennen!" It was Jaskier's voice, sweet like the bread they had eaten. 

   She ignored him and pushed through the pain, focused on the man who tried to crawl away. There was no way she would let him live, not after she saw the string of elven ears hung on the wall. The crude way they were cut made her realise they had been tortured for the ears. She could imagine the elves on the ground as they tried to pull away from the man, their fingers dug onto the ground as they tried with all their might to crawl away and their mouths wide open to scream to be freed. The wide and joyous grin on the man's mouth as he held them down, as he cut through their skin and let his hands be coloured red.

   Pure fury swarmed through Rennen. All she could see was red red red, like the blood that had spilt on the floor from his cut-off ear and the blood that felt warm against her leg. The blood the elves had spilt. She grabbed the dagger from the floor and pushed herself up, pushing herself forward through the pain.

   The man cried while he crawled away, his bloodied hand reaching for the bard. "Help me!" he cried. "Please, help me!"

   "Haven't you heard me, Ravand?" She stepped on his back with the strength she had left. The tip of her foot was right at the tip of his spine where it connected to his neck, and she stepped down as hard as she could until she heard a crack beneath her boot. She smiled, wide."You look prettier with your mouth shut." She leaned down, gripped him by the hair to pull his head back, pressed the sharp edge of her dagger against his neck and let it dance through his skin.