TWELVE

THE BIKE SLOWED as it neared a local park, the two teenage boys on board. Pope didn't see anyone he recognized, most people his age didn't spend their time at the park. Usually people from Figure Eight went their to walk their dogs, or talk shit about their neighbors with their friends. It wasn't exactly the place where one would expect to see JJ Maybank and Pope Heyward, yet there they were.

"How did we end up here?" JJ dramatically asked as the bike came to a full stop, the pair hopping off.

"I don't know." Pope shrugged, gripping the handle bars and beginning to walk the bike beside him, "You still got that case file?"

"Yeah." JJ murmured as he began walking on the other side of Pope, pulling the file from under his shirt.

"So... are you willing to let me help?" Pope asked, JJ stealing a questioning glance at him, only for Pope to add, "I was your getaway driver, after all. I'm officially your accomplice now."

"My side-kick." JJ said slyly.

"Sure." Pope shrugged, "I'm the brains, you're the muscle."

"Then, fine. You can help." JJ said blankly. A slight smile of accomplishment tugged at the corner of Pope's lips.

"I don't think the cops will follow us here." Pope said, breaking the small silence. To be honest, JJ hadn't even been worried about the police anymore after about three minutes into their bike ride. He felt like he was flying — a moment he'd never forget. It was planted into him now, the roots tangled around his heart. Moments such as those shared with Pope had been heavy on his heart.

Everything he felt lately rooted down to Pope.

"We should stop here." JJ suggested, Pope nodding in agreement. They were walking down the sidewalk, middle-aged people walking the other direction occasionally. JJ plopped down on a wooden bench, Pope kicking the kick-stand on the bike to make it stand, only for it to backfire. JJ watched in amusement as Pope tried several times.

"Well... I never said this bike was in the best condition." Pope said with a bit of humor, walking over and leaning the bike against the nearby tree.

"Clearly." JJ joked, raising his eyebrows. Pope only rolled his eyes, taking a seat beside the blonde, their thighs only inches apart.

"Well if we're going to be proper detectives, we have to go over every detail." Pope said jokingly, gently taking the file from JJ's hands. The boy sighed, seeming almost nervous for what the folder may hold.

Pope hesitated, but he opened it once again, the blonde woman's smiling face staring at him once again. His eyes darted to down below, seeing the words "CLOSED" in a bold red.

Pope began to analyze each of the leads, every photo and every possible detail. JJ watched with infatuation. Pope was so intelligent that it physically pained JJ sometimes.

"First lead..." Pope spoke out, JJ snapping out of his lingering thoughts, "some guy named Scooter Grubs."

"You know where he lives?" JJ found himself asking, only earning a shrug from the other boy. The blonde sighed, slouching his shoulders. JJ had no clue where to start, he probably wouldn't have even gotten that far without Pope.

This shit is a lot easier in the movies...

Pope glanced over, seeing as JJ seemed concentrated on his muffling thoughts. His eyes involuntarily dropped a few inches, seeing something tucked under JJ's white t-shirt, a necklace. The string held a familiar essence. Without thinking, Pope slowly moved his hand by the collar of JJ's shirt, gently taking the string onto his fingertips, pulling it from under the boy's shirt. It revealed a cross, his mother's cross. JJ glanced up, lips parted as he watched Pope's expression closely. He had clearly been surprised by Pope's actions.