FOURTEEN

POPE HEYWARD STARED questioningly up at the tree, arms dangling at his sides. He didn't understand why JJ had brought him there — a tree, of all places. JJ stared up at it with a familiar feeling sitting in his stomach.

The feeling of aching.

It was all too familiar feeling that felt as though he was back in those moments, with John B and his mother. The memories at which he thought were withering away, were brought back with the simple sight of a tree.

Becky Wheeler had taken the Routledge boy under her wing once she learned of his mother leaving only years earlier. She knew he needed a mother figure, so John would spend nights at the Maybank residence while they were still a functioning family.

Luke Maybank hadn't always been such a drinker. He'd been a hard working mechanic who was undeniably loving of his family, and Becky worked as a waitress at The Wreck. Although the couple had never married, they'd been hopelessly in love. It was bound to be doomed.

The house began to fall apart when Becky began turning up at the house at questionably late hours of the night. JJ would wait hours for the muffled screaming and crying to stop, and once it did, it was his turn to cry. Tears stained his pillows, his small body cuddled into a fetal position. He always acted as though he slept through it.

Pope clearing his throat awkwardly pulled JJ from his hazy memories.

"Give me a boost." JJ spoke suddenly, Pope's eyes widening, head whipping it the blonde's direction. JJ started expectantly, a hint of irritation in his expression.

Pope quickly bent down, both hands folded. JJ placed one hand on the tree and his foot in Pope's hands.

Pope didn't last long.

JJ almost fell on his face, huffing in pure irritation. He quickly hopped up back to his feet, sighing, "Yeah, Einstein... this isn't gonna work." He said as he brushed the dirt off his body.

Pope simply nodded in embarrassment as he climbed onto JJ's now cupped hands. He eventually reached up to the middle of the tree trunk. His hand slid over a wooden box, eyebrows raised slightly. He turned his head slightly, "JJ, was this here before?" He raised the box.

After a few moments of silence, JJ replied, "Get down here." This caught Pope by surprise.

Once his feet reached the ground, he couldn't help but ask, "What is this?"

Instead of answering, JJ took the box into his own hands, unlatching it. Once discovering the box was empty, panic overtook him, "Fuck, fuck, fuck." His ran his hands through his hair.

"What is it?" Pope asked, growing frustrated. JJ simply handed the box to Pope, walking off. With a scoff, Pope followed. JJ's footsteps were frantic and quick, his feet sinking into the grass. Pope struggled to keep up.

Suddenly, he began to recognize the route they were taking. This only grew Pope's confusion further. Why would they be headed to John B's house? Pope couldn't take it anymore. He reached over, grabbing JJ's shoulder.

Now that the blonde was facing him, he expressed his frustration, "JJ, I've really tried to be patient. But right now, in order to help you, you really need to stop leaving me in the dark." JJ started back at him blankly. There were a few moments of silence before a heavy sigh fell from Pope's lips. He turned and began walking off while muttering, "Call me when you want my help."

Just as he thought JJ had actually let him go, he heard words he never could've imagined, "I don't want you to get hurt." His voice was laced with panic. Pope turned slowly, seeing JJ's eyes filled with desperation. Once he noticed Pope gave his full attention to him, he continued, taking a few steps closer, "The more you know, the more risky it is. And I can't risk this."