Promise Kept

"Exactly!" Lín Jìng slaps the dashboard. "You tell them Xiao Guo. They don't make any sense taking advantage..."

"Shhh!" Cóng Bō hissed, adjusting the volume again without taking his eyes off the road.

"So true, so very true.... Ladies and gentlemen, if you are just joining us, we have a special guest in the studio with us today. Guo Changcheng, dǒngshì zǒng jīnglǐ of Hái-Bài Lóng Education and Charities. We are discussing the inequitable distribution of disaster relief funds and how, The White Dragon, as it is affectionately being referred to, is spearheading the efforts to rebuild some of the smaller, underserved neighborhoods of the city.

"Now zǒng jīnglǐ, I want to ask about the organizations name. Hái-Bài Lóng is a mythical reference meaning a 'continued obeisance of the beating drum,' basically finding one's own path in life. But your alumni and partners refer to it by a homonym, 'The Black & White Dragon'?"

"Ah, duì. The dragons in our logo represent the traditional concept of yin and yang. Our organizational mission is to always learn in order to teach. This way, we combat fear and ignorance with education and knowledge. But the symbolism itself represents rebirth, so the imagery was intentional."

"Interesting...how so?"

"The black dragon in the logo symbolizes the primordial void before creation. The white dragon represents the first ghost in the purity of creation itself. Shěn lǎoshī used to say that reincarnation was a gift as 'each Death repeats the Death of the primordial man, which was also the first sacrifice.' I never quite understood what it meant, but I know that Shěn lǎoshī was a man with strong beliefs who sacrificed much of what he amassed for those in need. And he did so equally and without prejudice. Sometimes I still find myself amazed at the depth of his kindness."

The interviewer clears his throat and there is a brief pause. When he starts to speak again, his voice is thick with emotion. "Zǒng jīnglǐ, I cannot argue with that sentiment. For those unfamiliar, we are referring to Dr. Shěn Wei, PhD, and forensic geneticist of Dragon City University.

"Shěn lǎoshī was a quiet and unassuming powerhouse. He was the youngest PhD recipient in the history of DCU and the founder and largest anonymous patron of Hái-Bài Lóng Education & Charities.

As a published author, his progressive theories on genetics kept him sought after by labs and research organizations across the globe..."

Jin Ling chuckled, "Shěn lǎoshī was our own Dark Horse..."

"Mn." A collective agreement from Chéng Xīnyán and Cóng Bō. Their eyes meeting briefly in the rearview mirror, where it was impossible to tell if the sadness there was being seen or reflected. The corner of Cóng Bō's mouth raised slightly in a supportive smile as the interview continued.

"Shěn lǎoshī , was indeed, a great many things. It was only after his passing, that it became know just how kind and generous of a man he truly was. He privately left nearly 50% of his estate and nearly all of his family fortune as endowment to various charities.

"I received one of Shan Ren Scholarships my freshmen year and was lucky enough to have had Shěn lǎoshī for Bio-Chem my senior year at DCU. I think it was his final year of fellowship and he was working on his dissertation. No matter how busy he was, he always had time for my questions. Although the charitable work continues, Shěn lǎoshī was tragically lost to us last year."

Guo Changcheng could be heard sniffling away from the mic. Lín Jìng cleared his throat and removed his glasses. After wiping them clean with his kerchief, he discreetly wipes his eyes before replacing them. The leather on Cóng Bō's steering wheel creaks again under his punishing grip. His eyes shoot up in time to see Chéng Xīnyán brush a rogue tear of her own from her cheek as she continued to stare out of the window. There was a moment of silence before Guo Changcheng continued.