One Small, One Large

Chéng Xīnyán gathered up the scattered file and stuffed it into her satchel along with several syringes. She took a second look around the office before shutting the door and following the two men to the elevator. As they made their way to the parking garage, she had a thought.

She turned to Cong Bo, "We need to make sure everyone is at the apartment." He nodded then turned towards Lín Jìng. Lín Jìng nodded in understanding, pulling out his cell phone, and pressing the third name on his favorites list.

Cong Bo's hybrid was parked a few short feet from the elevator. Lín Jìng climbed into the passenger seat while he settled the distracted Chéng Xīnyán in the back. Cong Bo slid in behind the wheel and started the car. He waited until Lín Jìng had buckled his safety belt before pulling off. Maneuvering in and out of the evening traffic, they drove in silence towards the Chief's apartment.

Chéng Xīnyán stared out the window, over the passing scenery, and up to the grey sky. The air was charged. The clouds were fat and swollen. They looked as if the sky was ready to give birth at any time. But Chéng Xīnyán felt that the delivery would bring much more than just a spring thunderstorm. Goosebumps formed on her forearms as she crossed them in front of herself.

A fat droplet of water splashed eye-level onto the glass, causing her to flinch in surprise. Then a flash of lightning illuminated the skyline. Cong Bo sucked his teeth and turned on the windshield wipers just as the clouds released. Chéng Xīnyán chuckled, silently to herself. Something was coming their way; it had been for a long time now.

~~~~~~

It has been almost two years since Zhào Yúnlán suffered the head injury that caused his temporary blindness. At least, that is what his official medical record states.

At the time, Shěn Wēi, wanting to cover every base, took Zhào Yúnlán to the Dragon City Hospital Neurology Department for consultation. He requested Chéng Xīnyán, a neurologist, to conduct the consult. Chéng Xīnyán was only a fellow at the time, but she was a former colleague and a long-time friend.

On the day of the appointment, Shěn Wēi and Zhào Yúnlán arrived to find the appointment assigned to a different physician, by administrative decision. Chéng Xīnyán had been unable to override it. Frustrated, Shěn Wēi settled Zhào Yúnlán in a seat at the nurses' station and requested to speak directly with the hospital director. Chéng Xīnyán accompanied him but waited outside.

A few moments later, Shěn Wēi and the director came out of the office. The director advised Chéng Xīnyán to continue with the appointment and to manage and follow up care necessary for the chief of the SID. He even apologized for the confusion that was resulting from his causing the error!

Chéng Xīnyán knew that Shěn Wēi had only to look at the Director for him to acquiesce. However, she was curious as to what was the initial reason for the change. She asked Shěn Wēi about it. He told her that the hospital administration had feared repercussions from the Ethics Committee due to their close relationship.

Rumors from wagging tongues flew easily around any place of employment; the hospital was no different. Staff members had seen Shěn Wēi and Chéng Xīnyán often having lunch together. At times, Shěn Wēi would pick Chéng Xīnyán up and escort her home, especially on evenings she worked late.

Chéng Xīnyán and Shěn Wēi have been friends since high school. They both transferred in their senior year. Even with the new environment, both were popular, but for entirely different reasons. The quick-witted Chéng Xīnyán was boisterous and outspoken. She made friends easily because she was so comfortable with everyone. The intelligent Shěn Wēi was a polar opposite, painfully shy and reserved.

Billion to OneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara