Chapter 9- The First Casualty of War is the Truth

- - -

Steve's POV

It's dark by the time I make it back to my new apartment, parking my motorcycle and climbing the stairs.

My neighbour, Kate, is standing in the hall, a basket of laundry under her arm.

"That's so sweet. That is so nice." She's talking into the phone, then looks up and sees me. "Hey. I gotta go, though. Okay, bye."

She hangs up the phone, turning to smile at me.

"My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." She explains with a chuckle.

I eye her laundry, she's on her way down to the basement.

I think of Zoey, how she's moved onto a quiet life, without me.

Maybe it's time for me to move on as well.

"Hey, if you want- if you want, you're welcome to use my machine." I tell her, "Might be cheaper than the one in the basement."

"Oh, yeah?" She asks, "What's it cost?"

"A cup of coffee." I say, slightly hopefully, very awkwardly.

"Thank you, but I already have a load in downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine." She says regrettably, a tinge of pink on her cheeks. "I've just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so."

"Ah, well, I'll keep my distance." I joke.

"Well hopefully not too far." She says with a smile.

There were times when Zoey would say things like that, when she would blush at my words and make me blush at hers in turn.

I nod to Kate, turning to unlock my apartment.

"Oh, and I think you left your stereo on." She adds.

"Oh." My grin falters slightly, "Right, thank you."

She nods and goes down the stairs. I watch her go, before turning to my door, eyeing it suspiciously.

I look at the fire escape stairs, going onto the outdoor ladder and entering my apartment through the window.

I can here the stereo playing classical music, and I grab my shield for protection, looking to see Fury sitting on my couch in the dark.

"I don't remember giving you a key." I sigh, lowering my shield.

"You really think I'd need one?" Fury asks, goraning slighlty, as if in pain.

I narrow my eyes, turning on the light to look at him. I open my mouth to speak, but he holds up his hand to silence me.

He nods to the light switch, and I turn it off again as he types something on his phone.

I watch as he shows me the screen, the words EARS EVERYWHERE bright in front of me.

"I'm sorry to have do this, but I had no place else to crash." He says, typing again and showing me the screen.

SHIELD COMPROMISED

I remain silent as he types again, hesitating for a moment before showing me the screen.

THEY WENT AFTER ZOEY

My throat tightens and I struggle to swallow.

Zoey? But I just saw her a few hours ago.

"Is she alive?"

NOT CERTAIN.

I nod, trying not to think the worst.