Chapter 21- A Lack of Female Entity

~ ~ ~

Zoey's POV

Nat and I sit in the court hearing, facing the Senators as the press all stand behind us, lights constantly flashing from the cameras.

"Do you, does your team understand the amount of repercussions of your actions?" One Senator asks angrily.

"Of course we know how much this battle has affected the world." I roll my eyes, "We saved millions of lives worldwide."

"We don't need any attitude at this hearing, Miss Redbird." Another old man chimes in.

"HYDRA targeted people that were a threat to their operations." I lean forward in my chair, looking at each Senator in turn with a skeptic expression. "I wonder if you understand that that includes each person sitting at this table."

A few men look fearful, but some others shake their heads.

"We're on the side of justice, Agent Redbird." One says, "If you're going to be destroying our infrastructures, then you'll need to pay for all the taxpayer's money you are burning."

"Typical." I lean back, inclining my head towards Natasha to whisper to her. "Women wouldn't change the subject."

"Exactly." Nat agrees, "Why aren't there any here?'

"Welcome to America." I say, earning a grin from my best friend.

"Agents, if you're not going to take this seriously-" The Senator's words die down as we both look at him in unison, our faces showing boredom and impatience.

"If you don't have anything relevant to say." I tell him, "Then, please, Mr. Senator, remain silent."

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" I turn to look at another Senator, who is watching me closely.

"I don't know what's left for him to say." Natasha answers, "I think the rock in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently."

"What about you, Agent Redbird." He says to me, "You're intimate with Rogers."

"How is this relevant?" I sigh.

"You must have seen him in the past three days." The Senator presses on, "Why is he hiding?"

"Well, he did almost die for this country." I point out, "You'll have to forgive him if he spends a couple of days recovering in the hospital."

"Well, when he checks out he could explain how this country's expected to maintain its national security now that he and you have laid waste our intelligence apparatus."

"HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence." Natasha scoffs.

"Many of which you seem to have had a personal hand in telling." I roll my eyes at the Senator's statement, "Agent Romanoff, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary, not mouthing off on Capitol Hill with Agent Redbird here."

"You're not gonna put her in a prison." I speak up, "You're not gonna put any of us in a prison. You know why?"

"Do enlighten us."

"Because you need us." I say simply, "Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we helped make it that way. But we're also the ones best qualified to defend it. So if you want to arrest us, arrest us. You'll know where to find us."

"Come on." Nat gets up and I follow suite.

"Gentlemen, good day." I say to the Senator's, "One word of advice, however; get a female colleague."