Chapter 22-Change

[Jack's POV]

It's the first day of junior year. I haven't seen Pun-I mean Rapunzel since the day I broke down outside her house. I didn't think I could've handle going back. Also, Rapunzel didn't go back to school. I was told by her mom that she was being home-schooled. Rapunzel's family visited us regularly, but without her. I guess she didn't want to see me. The thought of it breaks my heart, especially for the fact that I still love her.

"Hey," I nod at Hiccup as I get in his car, just like last year. Hiccup gives me a small smile and he drives to the school. He's been with me the entire summer, helping me try to get back on my feet and live again after everything that has happened. I wasn't even the victim, yet it feels like I was the one who was the most affected.

On the way, we pick up Merida. She and Hiccup have been together for practically a year now. I envy them at times, but I'm just glad they're happy.

At school, people began staring and whispering. Our trio will always be the group who was friends with the kidnapped girl, just like I'll always be the victim's ex-boyfriend.

"What the hell are you looking at?" I growl at a group of sophomores whom were staring, dumbfounded. Hiccup grabs my shoulder really quickly before I could make a move. I've never really been a violent person until now.

Just as we were walking towards the entrance, we hear someone playing "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" by Cage the Elephantvery loudly. I turn to see a truck roll in, bouncing a little bit to the beat of the song. The driver came out, wearing a pitch black leather jacket and ripped jeans. They were too far away for me to possibly recognize them. As they walked closer, I noticed they had dark, short hair, like a pixie cut. By the time they were already at the sidewalk, I realized who it was. It's Rapunzel.

"Oh my god," Merida mutters under her breath. We watch as Rapunzel comes closer, looking completely different from the last time I saw her. She's gotten slightly tanner and her hair wasn't the golden blonde that I'd gotten so used to.

"Hey," she smirked at us, obviously enjoying our surprise. As soon as she spoke, I fell in love all over again, but to a completely different person. I could see that she wasn't the girl I fell in love with a year ago.

"H-Hi," I stutter awkwardly. Her face becomes smug and she walks away from us. I notice that she gained some swagger in her walk, hips moving as well.

My classes go by faster than I thought it would and it's already lunch. After buying my lunch, I scan the room to find a table and my eyes land on Rapunzel. I feel my heart beat faster at seeing the new her.

"Hey," I mumble quietly as I sit in front of her. She looks at me with her big green eyes and I notice something. I saw pain. Her eyes showed what everything else didn't.

"Hey guys!" I look behind me to see a smiling Merida with Hiccup right beside her. I smile back and look at Rapunzel to see that the pain was gone. She hid it under a mask of carelessness.

[Rapunzel's POV]

"Hey," I nod nonchalantly. Merida smiles and I couldn't help but feel guilty. I look around at our very small group and I feel everything rush back to me. All the guilt, regret, and pain wash over me, but I continue to hide it from them so they don't worry.

We had small chat here and there, but that was it. It was nothing like old times. My heart began to ache as I watched Jack. His skin was pale and papery, face thin and bony, eyes sunken into his face, lips chapped, and his body stick-thin. He wasn't the happy boy that I met long ago. I saw the little incident that happened this morning and I never thought he would be that kind of guy, but I guess things change.

The bell rang and I stood up and left without a sound. I kept walking, even as they called my name, for I didn't want them to see the quiet tears falling down my face.

[Merida's POV]

"What was that?" Hiccup mumbled quietly. Jack, Hiccup, and I stood still on the middle of the hallway, watching Rapunzel walk away from us. I don't think we knew what to do in that situation.

We walked to our classes together, since our schedules have matched up again. A tense silence fell upon us the rest of the day. For the first day of school, it was depressing. Jack used to love first days, but so much has changed. Too much.

School ended and we rode together in Hiccup's car to the local ice cream shop. Hiccup and I thought it might cheer Jack up, since he loves ice cream.

After we get our ice cream, we sat at our booth. As kids, we'd always sit at this booth for whatever occasion, like after Jack's soccer team won a gold trophy or when my brothers got put in the ICU. Good or bad, we came here because it was our thing.

"Eat your ice cream," I whisper to Jack as I watch him poke it around with his spoon.

"I'm not hungry." Hiccup and I exchange worried glances and stop eating.

"Okay," Hiccup starts. "You've gone through so much. You have been able to stay fine through out so much of this, and it was without her. She wasn't here to see the pain you went through. Yes, I know it's hard. Yes, I know seeing her again kind of sets you back, but please, don't mope around again. I want my best friend back."

By the end of it, tears were falling from Jack's face. He tried to hide it, but he failed.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. Suddenly, he stood up and left the store in a sprint.

|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

Hey guys! I'm so happy right now because it's summer! (Well, for me at least. I don't know about you guys.) I'm really trying to work on this story, but I feel like I'm losing ideas. I really think I might end this soon :(

Also, this story has going on for a year now, I think. Wow, I'm surprised I haven't finished it. It'll be done soon though :(

Anyway, enough about sad things. I hope you guys like this chapter! Please vote, share, comment, or anything! I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and sticking with me!-Riana