Part 4: Sameer's Memories

SECTION I 1994: 4 Years Later Part 4: Sameer's Memories

Sameer was lying on his bed, thinking about all the beautiful times he'd spent with Naina. And today he had finally asked her to marry him. Sameer remembered how each and every time he'd kissed her had been so special for him. He hadn't forgotten a single one of them.

He giggled to himself on how Naina used to say, "ye sab sirf shaadi ke baad!"

Poor Naina, she didn't know the intensity of her own emotions, and Sameer- well Sameer hadn't even expressed half of what he was capable of. Naina, in her innocence, hadn't realized at the time that when two people were in love, it was hard to control the way they expressed it towards each other. All these years, Sameer and Naina had taken care to adhere to their boundaries and the norms of the society, as much as they could. Yet sometimes, they had cheated on the rules and listened to what their hearts told them.

They'd come a long way- from hesitant handholds, to side embraces, to hugs, to bone crushing hugs, to pecks on cheeks and finally lip to lip kisses, and soon Sameer dreamt smilingly, beyond. Sameer and Naina knew that deep down, they already considered themselves betrothed to the other. It was just a formal acceptance of this relation that was pending in front of the world.

Four years with Naina had whipped by so fast, Sameer thought. And they had made sure each and every moment they'd spent together was romantic for them- if you excuse the fights they had. There was a certain thrill in trying to keep their love affair under wraps- especially from the prying eyes of her family. Taiji had been very reluctant to allow Naina to go to college. But it was chachaji who had taken a stand for her. "If she wants to pursue her higher education, she would," he had firmly declared, putting a stop to all the discussions in the house.

Sameer and Naina had consciously decided to stay in Ahemdabad and pursue college from there only. While Naina easily got admission in the city's best college due to her excellent academic performance, Sameer too secured a place there- aided partly by Naina's help in studies and partly by his excellence in sports. He had not wanted to misuse his Nanu's reputation and wealth to secure an admission. Nor did he want Naina to compromise with her education and choose a college that was sub-standard for her. And he was pretty sure that Naina was wholly capable of doing something like this, if that meant she would be able to study with Sameer in the same college. All this had made Sameer work pretty hard for his Std. 12th exams- to the extent that he'd enforced strict discipline upon himself just a month before the boards. Naina was surprised, and then irritated and then proud- the boy who could hardly take his eyes off her any other time, rarely turned to look up at her from his books when they were studying. Naina happily assumed that he wanted to show his mettle, like he'd wanted to during the headboy competition in 11th, but she did not know that the real reason behind Sameer's motivation. And then the board results were a pleasant surprise to all. While Naina had as usual topped her school with a stunning 91% aggregate, Sameer had managed a decent 76% as well. And then with his excellent record in Cricket, he too had gotten admission in Patel Maha Vidyalaya, the best college in Ahemdabad, along with Naina.

Preeti had instead decided to pursue a course in beauty and styling. Because of the insistence of her father though, she had enrolled for a distance B.A. programme as well. Munna and Pandit had opted for correspondence courses from the same college as Sameer and Naina, as they had to help their respective fathers manage their family-run shops.

Swati had been trying her luck in acting. She had auditioned for a few Gujarati serials. Her acting interviews had often been the place where she got Sameer's company. Sameer had developed a penchant for acting ever since the Romeo-Juliet play happened in school. Now that he had his real-life Juliet by his side, he often tried his hand at acting in college dramas. He was already handsome, was blessed with a nice personality and could emote exceptionally well- as he was told. And when there were times he had to "act in love" with someone, Naina would fidget through till the drama was over, her eyes somehow bearing Sameer's lovelorn eyes on some other girl, even though he was only acting; and heave a sigh of relief when her Sameer was safely back in her arms.

Sameer sang Nainaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें