Chapter two-Second chance?

Malina was standing on the port. She was leaving the southern water tribe forever. Though Hakoda has shown mercy, the officials were unhappy about it. So . they threatened Malina and her brother. If they were ever seen within Southern boundaries, they would be hanged without a trial.

For Maliq, this was a pretty good reason not to come back ever, but Malina was broken from inside. She wanted to talk to Hakoda. She wanted at least something from him. Even if it meant death. Her self-loathing was killing her.

She sneaked back to Hakod's home. This was a crime punishable by death. But she was expecting the worst anyway. She was killed by the disgust she saw in Hakoda's eyes. She needed his forgiveness. No matter what. But to her remorse, she found Hakoda's house empty. Not today. Not now, she thought to herself. She needed to see him no matter what.

Suddenly, she heard Sokka and Katara walking towards the house. She instantly hid in the dark.

"I can't believe dad let Gilak and his friends go," Katara said.

"Well, It turned out well, didn't it."

"Sokka! We don't know that. Gilak could be acting ."

" Katara, I won't worry if I were you. Dad is a pretty intelligent guy. He already asked Pakku and some other trusted ones to keep an eye on Gilak and his friends."

" I just don't want dad to get hurt again."

" And he won't."

" I'm just feeling bad for him. Though I disapproved Malina, deep down, I was happy for dad. Nobody should have to go through what dad experienced."

" listen, Katara, I wanted to apologize. You warned me about Malina and Maliq from the very beginning. I should have trusted your instincts."

"It's okay, Sokka. Just don't ever think that you are weak because you can't bend."

" Let's just grab dad's clothes. Gran-Gran will be angry if we are late for dinner."

They both left. Malina came out of the dark.

She knew where to go. But the only problem was at least a dozen people would be there. And last she checked, the avatar could sense anyone from at least a mile's distance. She made her mind. Nothing was stopping her today.

************

Aang was eating dumplings that katara gave him. It was a bit weird. He personally had no feelings towards Malina. To him, She was just like other officials he often met. But he always stood against life sentences and did the same in Maliq and Malina's verdict as the council members urged Hakoda to rethink his decision to let Malina and her brother go. However, Hakoda and Aang convinced them that punishing Malina and Maliq might be right but, it may provoke the northern water tribe to start a war. And southern water tribe can't really face them right now. It worked like a charm.

Though Hakoda couldn't avoid being the juicy gossip of the town, he was more than happy. Even Aang had his suspicions about Hakoda's decision too. But he chose to stay out of it. He knew what Hakoda was going through. He was impressed by how Hakoda handled things.

Hakoda ate silently. He was informed that Malina and her brother were leaving. So, this is how it ends. Just three days ago, he was carving a betrothal necklace for her. He wasn't going to propose to Malina right away. But he was damn sure she was the one. He was taking his time to make a necklace. But he was not going to need it anymore. He made a mental note to offer it to Sokka.

The dinner ended.

The council had organized a party. Hakoda couldn't go due to his injuries. Kanna never liked them anyway, and Pakkhu chose not to go. Technically he was a northerner. So he tried to keep a low profile. But nothing was stopping the teenagers. Specially Aang and Katara were their war heroes. Many parents brought their daughters to the party just to meet Katara. So they had to attend. As Aang and Katara were leaving the igloo, Aang felt someone approaching. Suddenly he recognized the footsteps. But it couldn't be; Aang heard she went with her brother. He could feel her light steps. This meant she was careful not to be seen. "What could be the purpose of this? Did she come to apologize? He was confused; he didn't want to get involved in Hakoda's personal life. But she could be coming to attack him. Maybe she knew about the party and thought we all would go except Kanna, who is not a bender and shouldn't be a problem".He didn't want to tell katara. She will attack without thinking, something he has found irritating recently. But, he had to tell her.