↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 25, 1959

The first thing that George heard whenever he woke up was shouting, shouting coming from his mother.

"Santa came!" She cried as she went through the house, waking up each of her children. George groaned. He'd had a rather restless night. He'd gone over to see if Alexandria wanted to come over and have some cookies and watch Christmas films with him last night, but Kathleen had been the one to answer the door, informing him that Alexandria had gone with Paul's family for the day. It had always been a tradition for Alexandria and George to watch Christmas films on Christmas Eve night, and it kinda made him feel bad that she hadn't even told him that the event was off this year. Had she forgotten?

After getting home, he'd piled a plate full of Christmas cookies and come upstairs to lay in bed. He tried not to think of how she must have been having the best time with Paul and his family while he was here all alone, but it was hard not to. He had thought about it all night long, and not even the flimsy pack of cigarettes he had gotten from John a few weeks ago could numb the jealousy that he felt. He was spiraling, he knew that. He'd only had that flimsy pack of cigarettes for a few weeks because usually, he was perfectly content not smoking them. Ever since his falling out with Guinevere, though, he didn't know how else to pass the time.

He never realized how much time he had spent with Alexandria until she wasn't there to keep him company 24/7 anymore. He missed her beyond words. He missed the way that things were when he had her, she had him, and they didn't need or want anyone else. Her unshakeable pessimism and his unmatched optimism had always been a perfect balance, and that was why they worked so well. For so long, he assumed that she only wanted him, and that had made him content. Now, she wanted Paul—his best friend—too, and he didn't even know how to handle himself. It had been easy to ignore when he had Guinevere to occupy his time, but now he didn't have that either! He had to figure out how in the hell he was supposed to keep his mind occupied whenever he didn't have Alexandria there to keep him company.

Now, his cigarettes were gone too. He wondered what he could try next...alcohol, maybe. He'd heard from John and Paul that alcohol was lovely, but he had only tasted it once before, and it had made him gag. Maybe he'd see it in a different light now, and maybe that would make him like it a little more.

George rolled onto his back and stared up at the ceiling. There was a small hold in the ceiling above his head, covered by a poster, that previously housed his stash of cigarettes. Oh, how he wished he still had some. A loud knock sounded on his door and he threw his hands up to his face, groaning in agitation. "Get up, Scrooge!" his brother, Peter, called in and George sat up reluctantly. Then, his bedroom door opened. His eyes widened and shot up immediately.