↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 1960

Five months felt like forever when you were sixteen years old and head-over-heels in love for the very first time. Every month that Paul and Alexandria made it through together had been a celebration—until today. They were still feeling the repercussions of George kissing Alexandria an entire month later. Some days were great, but some days Paul would find something that reminded him of the godawful image of Alexandria kissing George, and suddenly it was awkward. In general, Alexandria thought that they were doing an exceptionally good job at moving past the entire situation.

But Paul still felt quite shaken by the whole thing. He still worried whenever Alexandria and George were together. He still wondered what thoughts George had of her. He was still insecure whenever he thought about them. George had known her for so long. How do you just get past that?

He put on a smile, though, and he pretended that everything was all right because he didn't want Alexandria to know that he was having something so close to doubts about his decision to move past the kiss. Part of Alexandria could also sense that something was changing between them, and that made her feel all panicky. She scrambled to try and keep their relationship afloat. She felt like she was trying to save a drowning child but struggling to keep her own head above water. Either this child—a metaphor for her relationship with Paul—was going to drown, or she—a metaphor for nothing—was going to die. Either way, the outcome wasn't great.

Today was their five month anniversary and they were celebrating the occasion by going out for food after school. Alexandria had been looking forward to the day...until she realized that it also marked a month since their argument over George. No wonder she couldn't remember what they had done for their last anniversary. It was an event that she was trying to ignore.

Something had sparked in Alexandria, and she had been able to start work on she and Paul's mock biography together. In short, her chracters had undergone a fight as well. Maybe it hadn't been over such a big thing as Paul and Alexandria's had been over, but it was enough to spark an argument either way.

Alexandria had zoned out in her history class yet again. She wrote in a notebook in front of her, feeling a bit nervous about her impending date with Paul. She always had a bit of butterfly-like nerves when she had plans with Paul, but never like this. Over the past month, while the two of them tried to pretend like nothing had happened between them, she could feel a wedge building up between them. She could feel Paul trying to move away from her, whether he realized it or not. A void was opening up between them, and she had no idea how to repair it. Her subconscious was telling her to take it to Paul and actually talk through it, but she also thought about how that could completely wreck what little they still had left of a relationship, so she was torn.