48

The next week went by in a blur. Between school, dance rehearsals, preparations for Anuj's birthday party and housework, Anupama hardly had any time for herself or to spend with Anuj. Of course, the fact that he too was equally busy with upcoming tender deadlines was a blessing. Because truth be told, Anupama had not truly been herself since that conversation with Kinjal.

For the time being Kinjal was living with her colleague and friend Alka. However, yesterday, Alka had indicated that she wouldn't be able to keep the child with her for much longer.

Initially, Alka's family had welcomed the child, cursing the parents who'd left a child to fend for herself. Then a couple of days later, she had been gently nudged to think about a more long-term solution for Kinjal, because "Kinjal couldn't stay with them forever". The neighbours who had originally sympathized with the girl were now urging Alka in the nicest of tones to leave the child to her fate.

"We cannot change what fate has in store for us," one neighbour had commented.

"What if her mother comes back and accuses you of abducting their child?" Another had reasoned. 

Alka had borne all the criticism with a smile. However, her own family had begun to indicate that they were finding her magnanimity cumbersome. Her husband had refused a glass of water that Kinjal had brought him after he came home tired from work. Her mother in law had indicated that the presence of Kinjal in their home was a constant reminder to her son that he didn't have a child of his own.

While the family had come to grips with it, society would use Kinjal to taunt Alka wherever she went. It was better Kinjal found another place for the child, and soon.

The following morning, Alka had told Anupama that she couldn't keep Kinjal with her any longer. Anupama could either find another house for Kinjal to live in or leave Kinjal to her fate. Alka had done what she could.

Anupama had thought a lot about it. She didn't have a house of her own where she could take Kinjal. And somehow, leaving her to fate, knowing how cruel fate had been to that little child, didn't sit well with her.

She remembered her initial days after leaving the Shah house. She was 44 and yet she'd felt lost. Memories of her struggle, the frustration she felt at being rejected by society, again and again, being ridiculed, being called unlucky, being blamed for things that were beyond her control, still haunted her from time to time. 

Kinjal was a little child. There was no telling what impact the cruelty of society would have on her life. From what little Anupama had seen, society had already begun showing its true colours. Her family hadn't bothered to locate her in the last week she'd been living with Alka. 

Anupama was convinced they didn't care one way or the other. She often wondered about Kinjal's mom. Didn't she miss her daughter? How had she agreed to marry a man who'd asked her to sever ties with her child? And why?

Anupama had accepted that some questions in life would remain unanswered. And in her life, she had quite a few of them. Why had fate forced her marriage with Vanraj? Why had Vanraj cheated on her? Why did she have to go through the humiliation of divorce? Why were her children ashamed of her? And now, why was an innocent child being ostracized by society?

Her head hurt, and she massaged her temples with the tips of her index finger. She had to find a permanent solution for Kinjal's situation, one that wouldn't impact her life in a negative way.

Taking a deep breath, she picked up her phone and dialed a number. Two rings later, it was answered.

"Kaka, I need help."

*****

Leela was sitting on the couch in Vanraj's hotel room, her hand gently threading through her son's hair, as he placed his head on her lap and napped.

After two weeks of not being able to see him, she'd finally made the trip to his hotel. She'd packed a week's worth of food for him. And then, as soon as she'd laid eyes on him, she'd hugged him and cried. He looked so pale and lost.

"What's wrong?" she'd asked again, the same question she'd asked a thousand times in the last two weeks. As always, he responded in silence.

"Baa, do you think I'm a bad person?"

She'd shaken her head, convincing him of her love. "You're the best son one could ever ask for. In today's time, when kids throw their parents outside the house, you still take care of your Bapuji and me. You are such a good son, such a good father, such a good brother.."

"But I'm not a good husband, Baa."

She looked at her son in disbelief. "Why would you say that? Has Kavya said..."

"Anupama.." He whispered. And yet Leela heard him loud and clear.

"Why are you thinking about that useless woman? She is not worth you. If she loved you, do you think she would have given you up without a fight?"

Vanraj had looked at Leela then, the pain in his eyes, evident. "Baa, can I ask you something? Why do you hate her so much?"

"Hate? After what she did?"

"What did she do Baa? Tell me?"

Leela looked at Vanraj, dumbfounded.

"You always made me feel that Anupama was not worthy of me. And I believed you. Look where it has led. I divorced Anupama and married Kavya and that girl...that girl..." Vanraj broke down and cried, his tears attempting to wash away the pain and anguish he felt at being cheated.

"I cheated on Anupama, and now Kavya is cheating on me. I deserve this. I deserve this."

"No, no, no beta, you don't. You're the nicest boy I know. You don't deserve this. You don't deserve Kavya. Anupama was my mistake, I shouldn't have gotten you married to an uneducated girl. And Kavya.."

Leela placed her hands on her head, lost. She had tried her best to protect her son, to pander to his whims and fancies, to give him the life of a prince. How then had his life derailed so badly?

"Don't worry so much. We'll find you a nice wife, someone not so selfish as Kavya."

"No Baa, no more. I don't want anyone else. I want Anupama. Can you get her for me?"

*****

Kavya gazed into her laptop, her face streaked with black tears. Her kohl and mascara had run down her face, but she didn't care. The room was dark. Despite being daytime, curtains were drawn and sunlight barely peeked through its folds.

Her hair was unkempt and she looked like she desperately needed a shower. Suddenly, she threw back her head and laughed.

Her husband hadn't come home for two weeks. And while he'd called and spoken with his mother on a daily basis, he hadn't even shown the decency to respond to her messages.

And yesterday, she'd seen pictures of Vanraj shaking a leg with model Ruhi Sabarwal at the A&M Global's Annual Party. If she had continued to work with the organization, she would've been the star of the show. But she hadn't.

She'd trusted Anuj and he'd betrayed that trust.

She looked back at her laptop. With Vanraj being away, Kavya had changed her screensaver to a picture of Anuj's that she'd downloaded from the internet.

"I'm angry with you," she spoke to her computer. "But it's okay. I forgive you. I know you love me too. After all, I'm perfect in every way. I will be the best trophy wife you could ever ask for."

She trailed her fingers over the screen of her laptop. "What is it that you see in her that you don't see in me? Vanraj was married to her for 26 years and he chose me over that stable relationship."

Suddenly her phone beeped. One of her ex-colleagues from A&M Global had sent her a message.

Was missing you at the party yesterday. So photoshopped you into it!

Attached was a picture of her dancing with Vanraj in place of Ruhi Sabarwal.

She smiled. Some people still thought of her. And then she smiled again, wickedly.

She quickly dialled her friend's number and asked for a favour.

It was time to test the strength of this mismatched pair for Anuj and Anupama were never right for each other.