CHAPTER I: The One With The Drink

JOSEPHINE

TGIF! Yes, as in thank god it's Friday. I have been dreading for this day to come fast, not only so I could finally get over with all the office stress even just for the weekend, but also because I have made some plans with my friends that's become a tradition for us over the years which started way back university days. With all of us bombarded with work these past few weeks, we all finally agreed to just fuck it and loosen up. But what kind of tradition if you ask me? Oh you know, just a simple night out at a London pub, or more like getting wasted until four in the morning with my friends being too shit-faced to drive themselves home so they'll end up crashing at my penthouse... yeah probably the latter. The more I think about it, the more I become excited to look forward for tonight.

I have known these bunch not less than a week of my first semester at the London Business School. Being born and raised in Perth at the western part of Australia, it wasn't easy for me to adjust when I moved here in London. During my first few weeks in my flat, I couldn't help my separation anxiety because I maybe already in university, but I still have every right to miss my parents. They are always so supportive of me, and it was kind of hard not to hear their comforting words in person or feel their hugs and kisses physically. I always found myself wishing that I should've taken more advantage of my last days in Perth with them before moving to London. But the longing and sadness became lesser and London then grew on me when I met my friends during my first night pub experience.

It's always been a dream of mine to pursue my Business Management course and I'm quite relieved that my parents aren't opposed to it, not just because it is what I'm passionate about, but also because they know that our family's business empire will be in good hands. I guess that's the kind of life I was meant to have, become the heir and future President of Langford Enterprises.

That is why during my last one and a half years in university, my dad decided that it's best for me to start an internship at the company that is based here in London which is quite practical if you ask me. University and internship at the same time were okay for me though, a challenge yes, but because I knew I was doing what I love, that was enough for me to push myself and be motivated.

"Think of it as your training, honey. Think of why you wanted to take business in the first place, too. I trust that you can do this, not just for our family but also for yourself. Just don't pressure yourself, you'll be great. Remember, you're a Langford, but most especially, you are you," my dad once said a week before my internship started. And just a year after I got my diploma, I finally got a new hard-earned title in our London office, one step closer until my dad decides that it's my time.

Josephine Langford, V.P.
LANGFORD ENTERPRISES

That's why today, I'm finally getting up from the comfort of my king sized bed and white satin sheets at 6:30 in the morning to get ready for my day at work. My assistant, Meghan, will help me for today's agenda of interviewing applicants for the position that she will be saying goodbye to two weeks from now. I've known Meghan ever since my internship days when she was still working under a different department and is considered to be a really close and trusted friend inside the office; like the she-knows-me-more-than-anyone-in-this-building type of friend.

That is why I felt really ecstatic for her when she got engaged to her high school sweetheart, Henry, who is from Canada. Although I admit, I'll miss her, but she's going to start a family of her own now that's why she and her fiancé decided to move to Winnipeg for good and that's enough for me to be proud and happy for her. I've taken the liberty of getting involved with the interviews with her by interviewing them on my own knowing that the position is really an important role to work for and with me. Meghan and I both thought that it would be much more wise if I know first-hand what is going on with the assessments.