Chapter Two: The Gift Ceremony

A/N: Mateo is not the protagonist. Even though this is a book introducing him, he is the main character of this story, but not the protagonist. So he won't be with Mirabel, all the time.

Mateo POV & 3rd POV

Mirabel walked into Casita, and a bunch of people were there preparing for tonight. "Higher." Alma said, as Casita made stairs leading towards the new door.

"Camilo, we need another, José." Alma said. "José!" Camilo said, as he shapeshift into him, and helps José putting up the banner.

"Luisa, the piano goes upstairs." Alma said. Luisa drops the barrels she was carrying. "I'm on it!" Luisa said, as she went to pick up the piano. Mirabel almost dropped her things. "Careful, sis." Luisa said.

A tornado was formed around Pepa. "Tonight has to be perfect, I need it to sound perfect, every part has to be perfect..." Pepa keeps rambling. "You're messing with the flower, the flower." Félix said.

The tornado around Pepa stopped, as Isabela appeared. "Did someone say, flowers?" Isabela asked, as she got down to the floor, as the people around cheered for her.

"Angel, our angel." Félix said. "Please, don't clap." Isabela said. Mateo appeared. "Someone called for an angel?" I asked, as my wings was on display. "Not you, Mat." Isabela said.

"I always get confused by that." I said, as I rub the back of my neck. Isabela, Pepa and Félix chuckled a bit. Isabela handed Pepa some flowers. "Thank you." Pepa said.

Isabela did a hair flip, and it hit Mirabel, as there were flowers on her. Isabela scoffed at her. "Little sisterly advice, if you weren't always trying too hard, you wouldn't be in the way." Isabela said, as she begins to walk away.

"Actually, Isa, this is called helping. And I'm not in the way, you are." Mirabel said, as she bumped into a column. Mateo decides to follow Mirabel for a while.

𝓢𝓞𝓐𝓡𝓘𝓝𝓖

Mirabel and Mateo entered the kitchen to where their mother is. Mirabel brought the stuff next to the counter. "Are you okay? You don't have to overdo it." Julieta said. Mirabel begins putting the stuff onto the counter, while Casita helps moves it.

"I know, mamá, I just want to do my part, like the rest of my family." Mirabel said. "She's right, amor." Agustín said. Mirabel and Mateo saw the beestings, and winced. "First Gift Ceremony since yours, a lot of emotions." Agustín said, as he patted Mirabel's hand.

"Bee sting." Mirabel said. "And I've been there." Agustín said. "Mamá, you might wanna look at papá." I said. Julieta turns around, and saw her husband with beestings. "Oh Dios mío." Julieta said, as she went to grab something.

"When me and your Tío Félix, married into the family." Agustín said, as he turns. Mateo and Mirabel saw the huge beestings on his ear. "Outsiders who had no gift, never ever would. Surrounded by the exceptional it was easy to feel, unexceptional." Agustín said.

"Okay, papi." Mirabel said. "I'm just saying, I get it." Agustín said. "Eat." Julieta said, as she fed her husband her cooking, and he's healed. "Cariño, if you ever wanna talk." Julieta said. "I gotta put up the stuff, the house isn't gonna decorate itself." Mirabel said.

"Um, Mira, it did." I said. Casita lowers the party banners, to show that it's sad. "Sorry, you could. You look great." Mirabel said. Casita straightens the part banners, to show that it's happy.

"Cariño!" Julieta called. "Remember, you have nothing to prove!" Mateo, Julieta and Agustín said. Mirabel gave them a thumbs-up as she left.