Chapter Four

I jumped up to the sound of a huge bang followed by a lot of smaller ones. I was in a house but it didn't look like mine or anybody I knew. I wasn't in a bed either and it felt like I had wires coming out of me. I turned my head to look at my arms and I was right. I was on some sort of makeshift hospital bed, except it wasn't a bed but a foldable table. I started to remember what happened and freak out. That's when Jason came to my side grabbed my hand and looked me in my eyes until I started to calm down.

"Auria it's me Jason, do you remember me?" he asked me trying to keep me calm. I shook my head yes and it's like all my worries started going out the door as I sat there looking at Jason. Well almost all of my worries, as soon as I realized Chris wasn't in the room I started to panic again. Jason tried to calm me down again but this time my body seemed to reject his attempts.

Chris came bursting in the room with Daniel and Lucas trailing behind him. He rushed to my side and grabbed my other hand yanking it back because it was so hot. He asked Daniel to take my temperature and check my heart rate so he did. Yeah Daniel was the doctor out of the group, thank god we had him around.

"Her vitals and everything are surprisingly good, it's a miracle you two are fine" Daniel said looking like he'd witnessed a miracle. Chris said "Yeah it's a miracle, I just wish I knew how to explain what happened." Then Jason looked at Chris and said that he thought we were dead but thank god we were okay. "That's not the work of god that's the devil and I'm sick of y'all acting like you're too blind to see it." I looked at everyone and asked what he was talking about. "You got hit with a bomb and now somehow someway you're alive and y'all want me to believe it's some sort of miracle" Lucas laughed.

"I what?!" I asked confused. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as I looked at Chris. Jason came back to my side and grabbed my hand again. "Okay Auria, hey look at me, there we go, hey" Jason soothingly said. Even though I couldn't see Chris I could feel the jealousy radiating off of him but he didn't say anything because he just wanted me to be okay. "I know this is a lot and you're confused, but I need you to tell me what you remember so we can try to piece this together."

Even though I didn't like how slow Jason was talking to me I was grateful for it. I told him that I remembered the events leading up to me getting the communicator and I remembered hearing Chris call out to me. "When I looked up I saw a bomb and all I could think about was that I had to fix this. I don't remember much after that" I told them. Chris came up to me and said "Auria before the bomb hit, you put your arms up to protect yourself".

"What no but that doesn't explain how. What happened after that" I asked. "When the dust cleared Jason found us on the ground with barely a scratch on me and you didn't have any" Chris said to me barely believing the words that came out of his own mouth. "But that doesn't make any sense, how could we have survived that. I can't just put my arms up and stop a bomb, that's insa...." I couldn't even finish my sentence because as I realized I raised my arms and saw what was on them I was completely blown away. Everything had started to make sense and I actually started to smile and I thought to myself, Aaron you fucking genius.

I got excited and held up my arms to everyone and said "Aaron is a genius, they work and we're proof of it". I got up out of the bed and asked "where is Aaron anyways?" Everyone except for Lucas avoided looking at me and I just knew some had to have happened. Then I realized that Brian wasn't around either and I automatically thought the worst but Lucas finally spoke up "they're okay but they're stuck on the other side of the kill zone".

"The kill zone, what the hell is that?" I asked and Lucas continued "why don't you go outside and see for yourself". Chris tried to stop me but I told him that I needed to see it so he moved out of my way. As I walked towards the stairs I thought about how all of my friends and family were feeling. How many of them would turn on me? How many would stick by me? How the ones who were already sticking with me did it without hesitation?