Chapter 22:

Please read the Writer's note before continuing to read this chapter.

Evelyn:

Ransom...didn't attend Harlan's funeral?

After he told me that he went to Harlan's funeral?!?

So he lied to me? ONCE AGAIN!

Oh! Now I am not just angry at Ransom, I am beyond that. I am livid. He lied to me – again! After he swore to me that he would never lie to me again.

'I promise to never lie to you again.'

Those were Ransom's exact words. He promised me! He fucking promised me!

"Are you still confused, tramp?" Linda jeers, smirking as she speaks.

I dart my eyes to Linda and exhale. She knows she is getting to me, but I cannot let her know!

"Would you stop calling Evelyn a tramp? She isn't one, mother." Ransom says irritably.

"But she is one. I mean," Linda shrugs. "how come she doesn't know that you, Ransom – her boyfriend – didn't attend the funeral? Was she maybe, cheating on you –"

"How dare you!" I spit.

"That's a bit extreme, Linda." Richard speaks up.

"Is it?" Linda challenges. "Because aren't you two supposed to be..." she points to Ransom and I, pretending to look around the room. "...close? Super tight?"

Ransom and I both sigh at the same time. I shift my feet and cross my arms. I am sick and tired of Linda's stupid banters. I am sick and tired of her mockery every time she sees me, and I am freaking sick and tired of her continuous mentioning that I am not good enough for her son. I know I am not perfect, but who is in this world?

Heck! My mother doesn't even harp on about how Ransom is not my match, even though she does not like Ransom. At least my mother accepts Ransom as my boyfriend.

"You two are supposed to be this 'dynamic couple'," Linda air quotes, "but I just don't see it." she pretends to sound concerned, as she smiles with her typical condescending look she has.

Oh she is definitely loving this! She knows that I am going to crack at any second, but I cannot let her get the best of me. I can't!

I look at Ransom and an idea pops into my mind. An idea that will make Linda eat her words.

"Oh really?" I arch a brow, curling the side of my mouth upward.

Without giving my idea a second thought, I step to Ransom, who looks up at me in confusion. I bend down, pressing my lips onto Ransom's. I make sure I press my lips hard enough that it makes me let out a moan. I quickly break the kiss however, before I get any ideas that will involve me taking Ransom out of the living room.

I need to control my hormones...

I wipe my bottom lip with my thumb, and I smile proudly at Linda, whose eyes are like daggers glaring at me.

I know this must be making Linda's blood boil, but that was the point of the kiss.

"What was that?" I hear Ransom whisper so low that I could barely hear him, and I am standing right next to him.

I look down to see Ransom is looking at me intently. He pulls his eyebrows in, but he quickly looks back at the pack of cookies in his hand. That's when I notice Ransom's cheeks have turned slightly pink.

Is...Is Ransom...oh my! Is Ransom blushing because I kissed him in front of his entire family?

Oh! That is cute – in its own adorable way.