Chapter 32:

Please read the Writer's note before continuing to read this chapter.

Evelyn:

"We don't have much time." Ransom pushes me away. "I need to talk to you."

I slouch my shoulders, pouting. "About what?" I drawl.

I just want to kiss Ransom and forget about everything!

"Evelyn, we need to talk."

"But I want to kiss you." My eyes gaze down at his plump lips.

I want to kiss Ransom. I need to.

Ransom is about to speak, but I pull him toward me so I can kiss him again. Unfortunately, our lips only touch for a brief moment because Ransom pushes away from me, again. "I told you on the phone that I need to speak to you. We don't have much time." Ransom quickly glances around the wall.

I close my eyes, covering my eyes with my hands.

This is happening. This is actually happening. I am going to have to tell Ransom that he is going to be a father. I cannot escape this. I have to tell Ransom.

"Evelyn," Ransom says, removing my hands, "tell me where you went to today, after you saw the doctor."

"Nowhere. I only went to the doctor, nowhere else." I say truthfully, keeping my head down.

"Okay, then what did the doctor say? Did you find out why you were getting sick?"

I swallow, closing my eyes, nodding my head slowly.

"Then tell me what the doctor said." Ransom says with a calm voice.

This is it.

I...I have to tell Ransom that I am pregnant – but I am afraid of what his reaction will be.

What if this is the wrong time to tell him though? Will he go straight to his family to tell them that I am pregnant? Or will he be too ashamed of my pregnancy that he cannot bring himself to tell his family? Or...will he be so angry that he will start breaking things, and then tell me to give up our baby?

I dart my eyes around looking to see if there is anything Ransom can break, once I've told him about this pregnancy.

I see a loose brick on the floor and –

"Sweetheart," Ransom coos softly, cupping my cheeks and lifting my head so our eyes meet, "please, please get out of your head, and talk to me. Tell me what the doctor said."

I close my eyes and gulp. This is it. Here I go. "I...I..." I inhale, opening my eyes, "I...I am –"

"Hang on!" Ransom interrupts – right when I was about to say 'pregnant'!

"Before you answer me, I want to know why Blanc was at the hospital."

I blink, frowning, and Ransom mirrors my expression. "You said you spoke to Blanc before I phoned you." he answers my unanswered thought.

I narrow my eyes slightly, taking a closer look at Ransom's face and I realize...his eyes look droopy, he's sweating by his temples, and it looks like...he might pass out?

Either he is tired or he is nervous.

But why would he be nervous? Or even tired?

"Ransom, are you –"

"Tell me what Blanc told you, and was Marta tagging along with him?"

"I already told you what Blanc told me, and yes she was. Why would it matter if she was there?" I ask curiously.